Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Home Defense Shotgun?

Big H

Medina
I was looking around at a Dunhams today and they had several with pistol grips and extendable stocks. I was looking at the Mossbergs, but they had some Savage pumps for less than $250. Anyone know anything about the Savage pump shotguns?

Huckleberry Finn

They also are sold as Steven's. I held one last night and it looked decent. IMO, if you could find a used 870 with a slug barrel you'd be better off.

Big H

Medina
They also are sold as Steven's. I held one last night and it looked decent. IMO, if you could find a used 870 with a slug barrel you'd be better off.

I already have my old 870 Wingmaster, for which I have a slug barrel. I have thought about putting an aftermarket stock and pistol grip fore end (about $70) on it since I don't really use it anymore, I bought it when I was 13 and have shot the shit out of it over the years. But the price on the Savage was $219. And I am not sure if I want to do that to "Old Betsy" LOL

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Normally I like mossberg's tang safety with a regular stock but I really dislike them with the pistol grips.havent look at the new Savages so I can't comment.

Huckleberry Finn

I already have my old 870 Wingmaster, for which I have a slug barrel. I have thought about putting an aftermarket stock and pistol grip fore end (about $70) on it since I don't really use it anymore, I bought it when I was 13 and have shot the shit out of it over the years. But the price on the Savage was $219. And I am not sure if I want to do that to "Old Betsy" LOL

My very same thoughts. Find someone with 2 for 1 pricing on the Savage!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would say some 4buck in a Mossburg Grand Slam Turkey special sporting collapsible stock and pistol grip would make a fine home defense piece. . . . not that I own one or anything. I had to sell all my guns when the economy tanked. What a shame. What a shame.:smiley_blackeye:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Im not a big fan of indoor shotguns. fire that thing off in a house and you'll bleed from your ears and be disoriented from the blast. But. If its what ya want. They make SxS coach guns that would do a good job.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've got the Savage/Stevens 12 ga with 18 1/2" barrel. I picked it up for $199 at Cabela's. It's a Winchester 1100 clone that is made in China.
10200280.jpg

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I would say some 4buck in a Mossburg Grand Slam Turkey special sporting collapsible stock and pistol grip would make a fine home defense piece. . . . not that I own one or anything. I had to sell all my guns when the economy tanked. What a shame. What a shame.:smiley_blackeye:

Same here Phil....I sold all of mine just to put food on the table.:tantrum:lmao