Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who has shot a deer in the late season?

I've never shot a deer in the late season. Usually, because I'm tagged out before the gun season. I had a possible shot at a buck, about 6 years ago, but it was as clear as I'd liked, so I passed.

I am curious as to who's shot a deer, AFTER all of the gun seasons?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
8pt 1-29-08.JPG8 point.JPG

Attachments

• 8 point.JPG
    8 point.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 71

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got a doe last year on the last day of the season. No corn, no bait. I just let the area settle down after the gun seasons and slid in/hung stand/killed a doe in the last 2 days of the season. Not much else to offer on suggestions.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've been debating getting another tag and getting out for the last part of the season.... Just don't know if I'm energetic enough too spend the 24.00 on the tag too go freeze my ass off waiting on a doe too walk by..... I did see 7 deer out in a field adjacemnt too one of the properties I hunt last night....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a hard time getting out in January. A few years back when the last day was still Jan 31, I arrowed a doe in the last 15 min of the season when I hadn't seen a deer all month long. The next year I did it again during the last week of the season. I'm still waiting to go back out this month....lol

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I need to get back out, but with the puppies I haven't been able to. (I could now since they are 2 weeks old)

I already ate an urban tag this year.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, I have shot a couple does in Janurary over the years, no bucks to speak of. I have been blessed being tagged out and back to work in the past several years. However, it looks as though MB has had great success putting some dandies down! Hats off TOO you. Those are some nice bucks. If any of you know Butch Todd, he has had great success killing giants in the late season, and he hunts with traditional archery gear! Iam sure Mike Rex knows him. Butch has been in North American White tail years ago with a segment on late season buck hunting. He swears by it being his favorite time to kill a mature buck.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those pics make me want to get back out! I sent my dad to check the cams today (ah... the retired life) and see if there are any hopes of bucks with headgear still on.

If not, I may go to our club and shoot a doe. I don't want to shoot any doe on the private property as I'm trying to keep the numbers up for now.

Schu72

Streetsboro
No late season magic here. The latest I have ever killed a deer was during muzzy season. My latest bucks have been Dec 19th and 23rd.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'll be going back out this weekend.

First deer I ever took was 1 week before end of season, I'll never forget that morning.
Dark, mid-20's cold, crisp, clear morning with no wind, just a minute or two after legal shooting time opened...
Glorious.

Diablo54

Outside
Those pics make me want to get back out! I sent my dad to check the cams today (ah... the retired life) and see if there are any hopes of bucks with headgear still on.

If not, I may go to our club and shoot a doe. I don't want to shoot any doe on the private property as I'm trying to keep the numbers up for now.

I see a lot of deer checking traps before daylight. And almost all of the bucks down here are holding. Even the 140" 10 I pulled up on this am

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've killed several does, and one buck in late season...all in January. There have been many years when I did not have a buck tag that I could have killed really nice bucks. Two times I have had bucks (big ones) follow does past me, grunting ... I would have loved to have had my tag on those days!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Nothing late season for me. I did get one Monday of Muzzy this year which finished my season. I'm happy to be done this early.

Huckleberry Finn

I've thought about going out again, but we'll see if that happens...I figure I haven't shot my bow since before Thanksgiving, so that's probably a wrap for me!

Jill

Between checking the trail cam :smiley_clap: and reading your posts, became convinced I need to take the day off work tomorrow.

Heading to the stand early.