Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Becker Knife and Tool BK-15

In this review I will share with you my impressions of the Becker Knife and Tool model BK-15. I don't know how many this site will be interested in this review but I'll post it up anyway. If you like this review I will do more backpacking and bush crafting type item reviews.

The BK-15 is a USA produced 5.5 inch knife. At one time Becker was part of the Camillus Cutlery, Western Cutlery, and Becker Knife and Tool conglomerate. After Camillus went into bankruptcy the Becker brand went up for auction. Ethan Becker, the founder of the brand was able to was able to reacquire the rights to his knives through the auction and partnered with Ka-Bar to produce his designs. The BK-15 is one of the Knives to come out of the Becker Knife and Tool and Ka-Bar partnership.

Specifications and what is included with the BK-15
The BK -15 is 10.3 inches in over length and weights .40 lbs. It has a flat ground 5.5 inch blade trailing point blade that is .165 inches thick. The blade has a very tough and somewhat abrasive coating. The steel used in this blade is 1095 cro-van steel. 1095 is not a stainless steel. It is a carbon steel. 1095 will take and hold a great edge. 1095 is also very durable but because it is a carbon steel you will have to protect it from rust. A lot of custom knives use 1095 steels or 6150 which is very similar to 1095. The knife comes with a well constructed tan nylon Mollie sheath. The BK-15 come with two sets of handle scales: one black and one tan. I have yet to see this offered in the box of any other knife except the BK line of knives. This blade is too big for most field dressing purposes but it would do a great job of quartering out a game animal. MSRP is $107.49 but you will find it from retailers for 65-85 dollars. I picked mine up at Sportsman's Warehouse for 69 dollars. With all features considered it is a good value.

Pros
-Light weight makes it easy to pack with you.
-1095 Cro-Van steel performed well and did not chip, or break under the stresses and 19 degree weather I subjected it to.
-flat ground blade.
-the blade shape is useful as a wilderness kitchen knife.
-the coating wears very well.
-the handle is comfortable. I have pretty large hands.
-It is a full tang knife.
-well designed sheath.
-Traction-able jimping on the spine of the blade.
-a well designed forward finger choil.
-a lanyard hole.
-if you take the handle scales off you can turn it into a spear. lol

Cons
-The spine of the blade has a slight unsharpened relief grind. Because of this you will go through batons faster.
-The thick blade coating may cause more friction in denser woods.
-The scales are not very traction-able.
-Because the BK-15 is lightweight it isn't the best chopping blade.

My extensive Batoning and Fire making tests.

The BK-15 as it comes in the box

I started with chunks of wood 6 inches diameter buy 12 inches in length. I cut everything from a fallen Douglas fir.

Enough kindling to get started with. I batoned three times what is shown; building a fire in the rain or snow is a lot of work.

I made wood shavings with the BK-15 to use as my intermittent tinder. I used tree lichen that I had collected earlier in the day as my tinder. I used a flint and steel to start the fire.

Last edited: