Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sick of regulations!!!

oakswamper

around Toledo
I'm opening a BBQ sports bar type of place and there are so many regs it's no wonder there isn't that many small bars around.

The spot I found is in a good location (was a bar then an auto part store) and it's wide open so I can do anything I want on the inside. Talked to the city guy and he looked at my plans and he said it looks good but I would have to put a sprinkler system in because capacity would be over 100. This would kill the deal because I would have to run a new water line from the street costing around 20K. I asked what I could do and he said to shorten the room by 18" and that would get me under.... This just blew my mind, I asked him if I build a wall 18" in front of the other wall that will take care of it and he said yes. :smiley_confused_vra
What happened to common sense?

This is just one of the many stupid things I've been dealing with. I have to meet with another donk friday to go over the menu so if you don't hear from me for a while it's because I punched him in the nose and they have me jail :smiley_coolpeace:

Ok done with the rant...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Enjoy the process... been there, and done it. It's a joy. Remember though, you don't want to be argumentative with the health department. Those folks are just doing their job and following guidelines they are given. Having a good relationship with anyone that controls you permit(s) is a good plan...and necessary, really.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Keep your tongue at bay. Vinegar catches no flys. Honestly if you appear geniune they will really help you through the process. Killum with kindness man you will win the process and gain quicker acceptance.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Funny thing is many regulations are supported by larger businesses. It cuts down on the competition and the large corps can eat the added expenses.

Go ahead and open smaller, if things go good and you can afford the waterline then you can take out the wall. I agree with biting your tongue and playing nice. I know a guy that tried to play hardball over a zoning issue in a small town around here. 3 years later he still hadn't opened.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One thing that has really helped with developing key relationships in our business; the first time you meet with whomever - building inspectors, health dept...whatever. Tell them up front you don't want to be one of their problem businesses. They will lay out for you exactly what they want, do it. Call them all through the process to make them feel "in the loop", and ask any questions you may have. Make it a team effort. If you try to slide things by, they will find it, and you will be on the radar. It isn't worth it. I am on a first name basis with everyone that could possibly pull a permit on our business. When they come in for inspections, we generally discuss things other than what they are doing. When they are done, if there is something we have done incorrectly they tell us, and we fix it. You can't "buddy up" and get out of doing things the right way, but if you put forth an honest effort, small things will be less of a big deal. They aren't the enemy, there are rules that must be followed, but if you do your part they won't make life any harder than it has to be.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Keep your tongue at bay. Vinegar catches no flys. Honestly if you appear geniune they will really help you through the process. Killum with kindness man you will win the process and gain quicker acceptance.

Yea this ^^^.

The 18" thing has nothing to do with common sense, really. Obviously there's a minimum/maximum area requirement for the building in regards to the sprinklers... They have to draw the line somewhere. They can't change a requirement simply because your proposed business is 18" too long. It is what it is.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And we wonder why we have poor, unemployed, unambitious, stifled economics. We spend so much time trying to legislate around "What if's" that we end up being a bigger hindrance to ourselves than anything..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
And we wonder why we have poor, unemployed, unambitious, stifled economics. We spend so much time trying to legislate around "What if's" that we end up being a bigger hindrance to ourselves than anything..

probably because some jackholes F'd it up for everybody and now we got it...nobody would do a darn thing extra if they didn't have too and that what gave us things like the clean water act and building codes. The "right" thing is hardly done anymore.

oakswamper

around Toledo
Thanks guys, I have worked on both sides as an inspector and contractor for heavy road construction for 25 years so I know how it works. All of the inspectors I have met with have been very helpful except the one guy and I think he got stuck in his locker a lot in high school lol.

If everything works out with this location we should start building (bar and kitchen) the first of March. When the kitchen is done I will invite you local guys for the test run with the new smoker.

Mike it's at the corner of Holland-sylvania and Door

Brock thanks for the advice, I will definitely use it

oakswamper

around Toledo
Met with one of the owners today, gave him my proposal and went over my plans. He tried to sell me the whole building lol (250k was a little more than I can afford) He is going to meet with the other owners and see if they approve the 1 year free rent after I remodel and open up. I offered to talk to them but he said it wouldn't do any good cause they don't speak english lol. So we will see.

The part of the building I want has been empty for 10 years so I'm hoping for the best and the rent is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be so it was a good meeting