Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A buck with some wounds what do you guys think? Theres a lil story on it.

deerslayer1985

This is a buck we call Tall Tine 8. He is 5 1/2 years old from our estimation, and history with him. We've been getting picks of him for the last 4 years. We have sheds from the last 2 years. I'm hoping to find this years sheds also. He looks to be a solid 140" 8 point. He has went downhill since last year. Last year his tines were a lot longer. Its possible he could be older than we think, but I dunno. Every year we print pictures of every deer we have gotten a picture of that year, and put them up at our cabin. We put them in a shooters list if they are 4.5 years old or better. Then we have a non shooters list. We do it to just try to save some of our younger bucks. Anyways. After the 3rd evening of gun season one of the boys comes in, and said he missed a big 8 point. He pointed to this ones picture, and said thats it right there. He said he it was standing abou40-50 yards away. He shot at its left side. He said after the smoke cleared the deer was standing about 5 yards further forward than it was when he shot. He watched it for a second, and it started to walk off. So he started reloading his muzzleloader fast he said, but by the time he had it reloaded it was gone. He said he looked where it was, and didn't find any blood or hair, or anything. Plus the way the deer just stood there, and then walked off slowly he thought he had missed it completely. Well a few days later we get a picture of the deer he said he missed, and it has a weird looking wound in its neck. Everyone I asked about it doesn't think its a gunshot wound. If he would have shot into the left side it shouldn't be tore up that much on that side should it? Check out the pics, and let me know what you think. Also do yu think this will mess up his rack for next year. I know it usually has to be a skeletal injury to mess up the rack. So I'm not sure if a wound just through the meat would have any effect on its antlers next year. Anyways let me know what you ghuys think. MDGC0067.JPGMDGC0068.JPGMDGC0069.JPGMDGC0070.JPGMDGC0071.JPGMDGC0072.JPGMDGC0073.JPGMDGC0074.JPG

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looks like a through and through injury to me, so I would say he hit them. With a bullet, it is hard to tell what it would look like upon entry/exit as they can do some strange things. One of the deer I killed this year had a huge hole on the impact side, and a small one on the exit. When the bullet enters, it can push the skin in and tear through it, making a bigger hole than you could expect. Then when it exits, it basics pokes through the skin leaving a smaller hole than the entry at times. With all the exit skin and meat on the neck of a buck that size, I would think this could be the case. As for his rack growing funky next year as a result of this injury, that will remain to be seen. My guess is that it won't effect the rack because it most likely didn't damage his skeleton.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Those wounds don't look like their from any type of weapon TOO me. Looks like he was tangled in some barbwire or predator attack or something along those lines. He looks to have faired pretty decent, hope you find his sheds.

oakswamper

around Toledo
Those wounds don't look like their from any type of weapon TOO me. Looks like he was tangled in some barbwire or predator attack or something along those lines. He looks to have faired pretty decent, hope you find his sheds.

I agree, if he shot it on the left side the wound wouldn't be higher on the right side unless he was sitting on the ground when he shot imo. Good luck hope he has a big ol rack next year for ya he is a dandy

deerslayer1985

He was on the ground when he shot it. It would have been about level with him where he described it standing. I just don't see how he couldn't find any blood, (IF this wound is from his shot) I mean if you zoom in on the pics there is some serious amounts of damage to the flesh. When putting the pictures on a big screen tv, and zooming in. It just doesn't seem to have the characteristics of gunshot wounds, but the thing that keeps me questioning it is he pointed out this deer as the one he missed, and then we get pictures like this....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looks like a shot to me. You also have to remember that dead tissue sluffs off and wounds can get BIGGER and irregular and in some cases look a lot different then when they first happened.

Ricer2231

I have to agree. I don't think it looks like a shot either. It looks too elongated to me.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive shot plenty of deer in the neck it just crumbles them where they're standing i had one doe that actually ran when i shot her in the neck she went less than 50 yards and a blind man could of followed the blood trail if he couldnt find blood maybe he didnt hit him, but we have all seen weird things happen, maybe from a fight?

deerslayer1985

Thats kinda what I thought, but it was kind of a weird coincidence that he shot at that deer, and just a couple days later we get pics like that. That deer doesn't look real good. We have pics of him earlier in the year, and it looks like hes easily lost 50+ pounds. I know he prolly lost a lot during the rut, but he just doesn't look real good in the pics I posted. What else could it possibly be besides a gun shot wound. It also makes me think it could be a gunshot wound by the way its like almost even on both sides. Like the others have said a straight through gun shot wound, but the entry, and exit holes just don't look right to me. I mean they almost look like the deer is slit open vertically. I've never seen a bullet leave gashes like that on a deer. The kid was shooting the same bullets I use to shoot out of my muzzle loader too. 200 grain Shockwaves.....

Lundy

Looks like a gun shot to me.

200 gr shockwaves are .40 cal and are good bullets and pretty tough bullets, they can pencil through with little expansion if the they don't contact something solid, depending on velocity.

I'm sure the boy wasn't aiming for the neck.

I always hear how a neck shot is a preferred shot because they will fall right there. There is far from reality. The real truth is that IF you hit the spinal column in the neck OR you are shooting a RIFLE with enough velocity to kill with shock to the spinal column it is an effective shot. We do not hunt with rifles in Ohio trhat carry enough shock to effectively and consistantly deliver the amount of shock to the central nervous system to kill a deer.

deerslayer1985

I would never aim for the neck for 2 reasons. One It would tear up the cape on a buck! lol Two There isn't any vitals in the neck. The only chance is juggler, or spine........There is a chance Dannmann801 that my father could get him before season is out, but its unlikely as we haven't got a picture of him in a couple weeks. We haven't been able to get him on a pattern at all. He is real unpredictable about where, and when he shows up.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I agree, if he shot it on the left side the wound wouldn't be higher on the right side unless he was sitting on the ground when he shot imo. Good luck hope he has a big ol rack next year for ya he is a dandy

I'll echo these thoughts. I don't think it looks like a gunshot wound. It appears to me that if a bullet went through that part of the neck it would hit vertebrae.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
IMO, I don't think that that's a gun shot wound either. As far as his antlers next year? They should be fine. I was always under the impression that the growth of a bucks antlers had more to do with the bucks testes and hind legs more so than anything up toward the upper body. Plus if the wound was on his left, then his right antler would have the adverse effect. Just what I've always heard. I could be wrong? Hope you find his sheds.