Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Article about "Rifle Shooting Myths"

Unless one of my guns comes in contact with salt water. Which happens pretty often these days. I just wipe them down and put them away. I do a good cleaning about every six months or if I'm going tdy/deploying.
Dan there are a lot of lazy hunters out there. I hate some of the silly stuff some of these kitchen gunsmiths do.

Last edited:

Lundy

My MZ's alway have a different impact point clean to fouled barrel. That is what I hated about them. I always had to foul the barrel to hunt and I would end up cleaning them multiple times during a week of hunting. My smokeless get checked in October and cleaned in January

My SS Knight is close to 3" difference. The difference with Smokeless is much less than when I was shooting Pyrodex or T7 in my other guns

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
We teach the kids on our 4H rifle team to shoot the first shot of a match off the paper and into the backstop to make sure the barrel is fouled.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't think my .22 has ever seen a bore brush in the 20 years I've owned it. She'll ear hole a squirrel.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't think my .22 has ever seen a bore brush in the 20 years I've owned it. She'll ear hole a squirrel.

Yep. I have a 40's era Mossburg bolt action .22 that I know hasn't been cleaned in 20+ years. We used to shoot the cherry off lit cigarettes with it in college and I just shot a squirrel at 78 yards with it this fall. It'd probably shoot like shit if I cleaned it! LOL

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As I think about it, I have never cleaned my 17hmr. Muzzle loader? ALL the time! In all fairness, I have probably shot less than 200 rounds from the 17. It seems to just keep getting better TOO! I do wipe down the outside of it regularly. Sort of depends on the weapon. Not sure I have ever cleaned any of my 22's. Others get it regularly.