Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kentucky Spring Turkey

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Thinking about chasing some Turks in Ky before the Ohio season opens. Season opens in Ky on April 13th which is two weekends before Ohio Opens on the 21st.. License is 130 and a turkey permit is 60 but that covers both birds.. It's all day hunting half hour before sunrise to half hour after. Thinking about finding a large bit of public land and hiking in. Tent camping and run and gun.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds like a great time, but that a lot of coin to throw at a stinking turkey. If I didn't have a baby at home, I'd probably be all over it though...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like a great time, but that a lot of coin to throw at a stinking turkey. If I didn't have a baby at home, I'd probably be all over it though...

The license is good for the year to include deer. And Ky has a nice population of hogs to hunt also. The Ky DNR is very willing to share information on Feral hogs to include GPS cords and landowner information. Turkey season in Ohio will run you 75 bucks for the license and both tags. so really it's only a 100 bucks more.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
A buddy and I plan to hit up Kentucky before the Ohio opener for some birds. I have family in Campbell County, KY. I have deer hunted there a couple times and have not had much luck. I am planning to try deer hunting again there in the early season since their deer season is in way before ours. I believe it was like Sept. 1st this past year. I figure I might as well turkey hunt since I will be paying for a non resident liscense anyways. I can recall seeing a lot of turkeys deer hunting down there as well.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Count me in Joe. I am familiar with a couple areas that are loaded with turkey, and had plenty of deer when I hunted it seriously several years ago.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i deer hunted kentucky in early september this past year, i will be doing that again this year, as for turkeys the past too years ive went to tennessee and will be going there again this spring i have some buddys down there that are covered up with turkeys always makes for a good time besides climbing up those damn mountains. i hunted one time on the ohio river in lewis county on some wma ground in kentucky there were a few birds around there while i was bow hunting mite not be a bad area. another place if you wanna drive farther is in pineville kentucky its 8000 acres lots of elk and bear to look at down that way.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like fun....are you looking to do a 3 day weekend or what?

Not sure yet if I want to take 2-4 days or hunt both weekends. Like. The 13-16. Or. 13-14 & 20-21. Ohio opens the 22 and I'd like to take those first two days off. Ky is all day hunting so if you shoot a bird on Saturday you can spend the rest of the day lining up a couple for Sunday. I know a couple guys that take their kids down there for youth and the kids don't seem to have a problem busting their birds.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Would love to but that is right in the heart of our busiest season. Count me out. I will be lucky to hunt locally. Great idea though.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Ky has some great hunting . I hunted down there last yr the last weekend of their season after bein lucky enough to tag out in Ohio qquickly . Had a good hunt down there for goin in blind and bein the end of the season. My buddy and I killed 3 and should of killed4 but one was wounded and lost .

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
The license is good for the year to include deer. And Ky has a nice population of hogs to hunt also. The Ky DNR is very willing to share information on Feral hogs to include GPS cords and landowner information. Turkey season in Ohio will run you 75 bucks for the license and both tags. so really it's only a 100 bucks more.

That makes it interesting.

I have hunted turkeys on public land a few times. Both at lake cumberland and Yatesville lake. plenty of birds both places, I always hunted off the bass boat. I am with Joe i think it is a bargain for the license and i think the birds are easier to call because of the early start. Also kentucky does not allow people to call the birds preason like Ohio goes.

at Cumberland you can also stripper fish.

If you want to really start early head to Tennessee. I hunted there off of dale hollow lake. The license is more expensive and the drive is a little worse. Dale hollow is also full of crappies and small mouth.

If guys really want to mix hogs and turkeys head to florida! season starts in mid march, hunting the swamps is a ball! plenty of turkeys and hogs. I have seen 2 hogs drop with a hot load of number 5's in the head.