Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio River Trip

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Since the north zone is out, me and two buddies decided to try an Ohio River bird trip. One buddy has a friend over there that hunts the Ohio that gave us some insight, but we were pretty much on our own. We used Google Earth and found a spot that we thought we would try. I rolled out of bed at 1:45am to get ready and to go meet my buddies. At 7:15am we were scrambling to get the last of the decoys set. Shooting light came and there was literally nothing flying. We sat until 9:30 and did not see a bird. Needless to say, we were all pretty bummed. We decided to take a trip up river to scout a bit and not more than a mile up from us we hit the mother load. Ducks were everywhere! Black clouds all over the place! Hundreds and hundreds of them all piling in and out of a single location. We picked out a spot and set all of our decoys out and gave it a try. At this point it was already after 10:30. We had non stop action with what seemed like no more than a minute going by without birds in the air. We ended up scratching out five mallards, a black and a goose before heading home. Birds seemed to quit flying around 1:00. It a great trip and we plan on going back for the last weekend down there.
OH.jpg

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Did you tie up on public land or did you have permission somewhere to tie up? Just curious bc I plan to get out ALOT more next year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice work! I must say, though... If I found a honeyhole as you described that was jam packed with ducks right now, I'd have a hard time not taking a "sick" day tomorrow. This late in the season, you just never know how long they'll stay there or who else may hunt them.