Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rough morning... for the geese.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Carpn, Kaiser, myself, and our friend Aaron met up this morning with plans to thin the goose population a bit. Yesterday we located a prime loafing area... a picked soybean field that had flooded within the past few days... There were probably 400-500 geese on it and quite a few ducks. Our only concerns were the wind direction and where to hide. The wind ended up being just right, and we were able to hide the blinds so well even we had a hard time seeing them. The bean stubble chaffe was piled up in one corner of the field, most likely placed there during a previous flood. We gathered up 5 trailer loads and turned our four layout blinds into an inconspicuous pile of bean stubble. :smiley_bril:

The first few flocks didn't work us very well at all. We then realized that we needed to tone down the calling to bring them in. Having hunted mostly cornfield setups for the past few weeks, we had gotten accustomed to the aggressive calling approach. After some well-timed flagging and some soft lay-down calling, the geese started dropping in right where we wanted... straight in front, only 15-20 yds away. By 8:56 a.m. we were packing things up...

View from my blind...

Sunrise...

12 dead geese...

Failed first attempt at group photo...

That's more like it...

Leo did really well today. In fact, he did so well, we decided to let him take the quad for a ride!

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Was a great hunt today with great guys....I was glad to get out and hunt one last time before leaving for my trip tuesday.. I usually dont hunt Leo in fields when we are goose hunting, because its usually one more thing to hide. Although, with the water rising and the ditches being so deep, we figured it would be a good decision to bring him.. I am glad we did, Made life a lot easier for all of us and he didnt seem to get in anyone's way... The hide was good and the birds worked very well...It was one of those days where you wish you had 6 or 7 more guys with you.... There were that many birds and they were that eager to die! Thanks a lot for the invite Jake.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Nice photo montage. It was a really awesome hunt. One thats definitely gonna stick out in my mind. . I don't know if I have ever had birds work that well in a big flooded field before. Just seems like they often land out. Not today tho. The hide made todays hunt. There were a lot of geese there, but hiding in a bean field is next to impossible ...not today t. That big pile of chaff in the corner of that field made us invisible ...once we moved 1000 lbs of it...lol.

AMiller

got a quick video clip of JBrown killing two geese with one shot and Leo making a grate retrieve on a cripple. JBrown's gun was messing up, so we let him have first crack at this pair and he decided to conserve ammo and stack em up. Leo made several grate retrieves, and didn't spook any geese. He definitely helped make the hunt!

[video=youtube;5Qahh4_HjBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qahh4_HjBA[/video]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
got a quick video clip of JBrown killing two geese with one shot and Leo making a grate retrieve on a cripple. JBrown's gun was messing up, so we let him have first crack at this pair and he decided to conserve ammo and stack em up. Leo made several grate retrieves, and didn't spook any geese. He definitely helped make the hunt!

[video=youtube;5Qahh4_HjBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qahh4_HjBA[/video]

Don't you just hate when that happens! lmao

Welcome to TOO, buddy.