Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rabbit hunted with the bows today!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Had a great birthday today hunting rabbits with my son Jeremy and a good friend of ours, Coury. We did it the hard way and used the bows today. Ended up with a couple in the bag and knocked the fur off of 8 more! Had a couple of them pinned down with an arrow and they still managed to wiggle off the shaft and run to the hole. I missed a couple of close shots that I should have connected on but managed to redeem myself with a 48 yard head shot. I will try to post a video of Coury retrieving the rabbit and stepping of the distance to me in my tripod.

I am at the point where a couple of my dogs are on their last leg so to speak, Jenny is 14 and Rocky is 12 and then there's Brownie who is the kid of the group at 4yrs. Rocky and Brownie burn up the trail but the problem is Rocky only last's a couple of hours and dies off, age has gotten to him pretty good. Jenny has been a great dog but her days of keeping up are over. I just don't have the heart to leave her in the kennel so I take her and let her do her thing at her own pace and when we are ready to leave I find her and load em all up.

I can't think of a better way to spend a birthday than rabbit hunting with my son and listening to the dogs run some rabbits. I am shopping for a better video camera so I can try to post some decent video and kill shots when we bow hunt for rabbits so you guys can get a feel for what it's like.

I posted a pic a couple of weeks ago of Jeremy and Coury hunting rabbits with the bows when they were 13 years old. Todays pic is in the same field and they are 25 now. I am truly blessed to have such a great family and friends.
Jim and Jeremy  Rabbit hunt with bows Jan 12th 2013.jpg Jeremy and Coury Rabbit hunt with bows Jan 12 2013.jpg

http://youtu.be/IQJZcVLVQBQ hope this video link works, I'm still learning.

Last edited:

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Get yourself a good beagle, they'll find em. That's all we ever use is bow or a 410 handgun at the most. I love it almost as much as deer hunting.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it! I doubt I'll ever hit a rabbit at that distance with an arrow ever again, but who knows.

jbrown.....we use field points. We've tried judo's and blunt points, the problem with them is it's hard to get a straight line through brush they tend to grab anything they contact and kick of line, with the field point we just shoot through anything at it stays on a fairly good path and most of the time it pins the rabbit right to the ground.

I have been checking out the Sony handycam CX160 but can't really decide what video camera would be best for this type of filming and of course deer hunting as well. If any of you have a recommendation I'd like to hear it. Prefer something small that can mount on my stabilizer like my current setup.

bluedog

Thought about you today Flatlander. My neighbor has been wanting to shoot a rabbit with his bow so I took the dogs down to his place today. I just went along to watch/listen to the dogs. We ran the dogs for 5 1/2 hours, but only had one rabbit both stay above ground and circle within range and that rabbit ran big. Took 45 minutes (and several circles up out of range) before it came all the way back to where we jumped it. Was in range but the dogs were too close and the rabbit never stopped in the clear. We still had fun and are going to try again before the season is done. The dogs are VERY sleepy tonight.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
It was good of you to get the dogs out and try to give him the opportunity. It really is rewarding when one does connect with the arrow on a rabbit. I hope you're able to give it another try before season ends.

I guess it must have been the conditions today, we went out for a while and had some very long runs as well. The last one went nearly 2 hours! Ditto on the tired pups.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Don't know how I missed this but that is awesome stuff Jimmy! Happy very belated Birthday and thanks for sharing this. Very challenging but fun and rewarding TOO I bet.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Thanks Ric......I know what you mean about missing some threads. I just read the thread last night about the TOO rabbit hunt! I was like, you gotta be kiddin me, how in the hell did I miss that. It looks like I missed a great time and a great chance to meet many of my TOO friends.....still kicking myself.