Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Full bore and Finelyshedded shed thread of 2013

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ron got us started today with a dandy set and a busted off horn he found in a slough in a picked beanfield where two bucks fought during the rut. It must have been a good fight to break a beam just above the brow tine. He found the shed mates in a picked cornfield about 70 yards apart. Here are the ATL pics and others:

The bust off horn

Todays find

I walked about 3-4 miles today just in picked fields and CRP and found two dead deer. One nice buck with the horns cut off below the burrs and a doe.

Doe

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Garrett told me he wants to keep hunting. Guess my shed hunting will be on hold a few more weeks. Nice work Ron.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ron's in the SE and I'm in the SW. They typically seem to drop a little earlier in his area as I've seen many still carrying into late March.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Do you think the buck was poached or were the antlers cut off after someone found it?

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Do you think the buck was poached or were the antlers cut off after someone found it?

I have no idea Mike. My educated guess would be the finder was the one who put a less than perfect gun or muzzy shot on it and eventually found it after it had been dead awhile and then took the antlers, but just my opinion. I hadn't been on that part of the farm in 2 months.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, I have a old saying " the early bird gets the worm " and I live by it. Before another person or some ruminant chews the shit out of them! Lol. Plus, once the farmers get good weather they start working their fields. That spells disaster when sheds are laying for tires to get impaled. Plus, you have green-up to shorten the season, which hampers in finding them.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Mike but we're hardly experts! Lol Fanatics maybe and hardcore alittle....rotflmao

I'm kinda pessimistic about my shed hunting season due to the lack of bucks or deer even in my area here in the SW. I might have to venture away some. I have a few leads on some props I'm hoping to get permission on. Fingers crossed!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm finally on the board! I was out driving around talking to the land owners that I've been shed hunting on over the past 5 years or so and in between stops I caught a glimpse of a MB and tine bases thru some tall grass at the base of a post along a road. Lol
I stopped and backed up and pulled over to check it out. Sure enough it was a nice year old shed that apparently fell off a buck last spring. It had no chews and the tine tips were in the mud about a half inch or so. I can't believe no one noticed it after all this time! Lol
It was only about 8-10 feet off a heavily traveled blacktop road. I grabbed it before snapping a pic as I was kinda in shock but took a pic of where it was laying. It was upside down at the base of the 6" steel post covered up mostly by the tall light colored weeds. I will be going back soon to look for the mate.
Here is the shed:

Here it is next to the nice 5pt side I found last year that my buddy Stacey fixed up for me.

Here is the post I found it beside. I'm stopped in the road beside it.

I did some walking this morning and jumped a bachelor group of bucks with two being between 120-140 inches along with three other small bucks. Only one of the smaller bucks appeared to have lost one side. I prolly won't go back to that spot for a couple weeks or another month.

Last edited: