Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hog hunting

rooster85

Lake County
Hey guys, new to this site and new to Ohio. I'm in Afghanistan for quite a few more months but I'm looking to chase some hogs when I get back. Been stationed in Ca and chasing hogs all my life. I was 4 years old on my fist hog hunt. It's my addiction. I've read that Ohio has hogs and I'd like to try my hand at one or two either on R&R or when I get back stateside after this tour. I don't need somebody's honey hole, just a place to start my search. I do all my own processing so I'd be glad to share the meat. Thanks.

badger

*Supporting Member*
First I want to thank you for your service. :smiley_coolpeace:

As far as the hogs, you are going to be disappointed in the huntable populations here compared to Cali's. If you locate some, good on you!

Keep your ass safe over there and come back in one piece!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree. Thank you for your service. Huntable populations around here are in small pockets the way I gather it. Thankfully none in NW Ohio yet.

rooster85

Lake County
I hope this isn't a dumb question but is there any firearm restrictions for hogs? I know shotguns and muzzle loaders are to be used for deer. Is it the same for hogs? Thanks and sorry if its a dumb question.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Just wanted to add that I'm a fellow hog hunting addict. All my hunts have been in Texas, but we've talked about doing a hunt in Cali some day. If you want to bs about hogs sometime, shoot me a message.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is very close to where I hunted last season. They had hogs on trail cameras one time in all the years they had been running them. It was not in the New Plymouth area. I believe they said it was Vinton County at that time. Then again, you are not far from Vinton when you are in New Plymouth. Possible they have migrated since last year or expanded.

rooster85

Lake County
Mike, I checked out that link. Sounds interesting and might be worth looking into. Usually don't pay to play but i might try it out. Could be fun I guess. Thanks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
. 350 each not including lodging or meals for 2 nights of hunting. Just my .02. You'd be better off spending $150 on gas and driving to Tn, Ga, or the Carolina's. And you'd still have 200 to spend at the titty bar while there.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
. 350 each not including lodging or meals for 2 nights of hunting. Just my .02. You'd be better off spending $150 on gas and driving to Tn, Ga, or the Carolina's. And you'd still have 200 to spend at the titty bar while there.

Good call. My neighbor owns land in Georgia. His FIL kills many, many hogs each year.