Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

buying a diesel

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok guys,

I would love to update my truck to a diesel, I have always wanted one,and I think I could swing it now.

I was just wondering though from you older guys especially what is the most milage you would buy with a diesel truck?

I know they run for a long time, but I just dont want to be a total dumbass. My buddy had a dodge, and they are great motors, but the body started to rattle apart. My number one would probably be a Duramax!

Huckleberry Finn

I am a Chevy guy but if I was buying a diesel, I'd get a powerstroker.

Phil owns half a dozen of each, I'm sure he'll be of some help.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Huck. Truth be told, I am considering my next couple of trucks to be gassers. I see two reasons for diesel: You actually need the power to pull something regularly or you drive so many miles it is justifiable. A couple of the trucks in our fleet don't see enough miles and aren't required to pull mega loads all the time. Therefore, a gas powered truck or two might be in the future for us.

IF you feel the necessity to buy a diesel you should know a couple things. 1) They will NOT make your penis any longer. 2) Diesel costs more than gas and the additional fuel mileage is a fallacy. Used to be able to get close to 20mpg or maybe even 22mpg with them. With all the new emissions crap they will probably be getting worse mileage than a gas powered truck. Last two I bought were 2006 models because in 07 they were getting slammed with emissions stuff.

Here is another thought: When diesels break, they break expensive.

Here is another thought: You JUST finished school and started a new job? Buy a gas powered truck and wait 3-6yrs. I think you might start finding natural gas powered "diesel" engines in the near future. They WILL get much better mileage.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but if you are looking to buy diesel for mileage then you are barking up the wrong tree. For what it is worth, my 06 Dodge has the 5.9 Cummins HO with 6sp. It sees 12-15mpg around town dependent upon whether I am pulling a skid loader or trailer loaded or if I am empty. On the highway I see 17-18mpg empty. Drops to 10mpg pulling my camper. I would think most modern gas powered trucks "should" see at least 17-18mpg on the highway and 12-15mpg around town unless you get 411 gears.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hicks thanks for the input,

I am not in a major rush to buy a truck, hell it might be 3 years but I want to get my feelers out there.

I am fortunate that right now I have a stock 06 Chevy 1500, Z71. It is a great truck, but I have always thought diesels where cool as hell, but youve made me reconsider the coolness vs, overall costs.

UGHH!!!

Gordo

Athens County
Them toyota tundras/tacomas kick ass. Great gas mileage considering its a truck, and just all around solid.

The new tundras are too fuggin big i think. I have a 2000 which is the perfect size.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hicks thanks for the input,

I am not in a major rush to buy a truck, hell it might be 3 years but I want to get my feelers out there.

I am fortunate that right now I have a stock 06 Chevy 1500, Z71. It is a great truck, but I have always thought diesels where cool as hell, but youve made me reconsider the coolness vs, overall costs.

UGHH!!!

I know a couple brothers who farm here locally and they went with the Tundras. I believe our very own Ohiosam went with a gas powered truck when he updated last. He farms and actually uses his truck for work. Diesel isn't the great advantage it used to be. Nice, but not necessarily "better".

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I know a couple brothers who farm here locally and they went with the Tundras. I believe our very own Ohiosam went with a gas powered truck when he updated last. He farms and actually uses his truck for work. Diesel isn't the great advantage it used to be. Nice, but not necessarily "better".

Yep I went with the Vortec 6 liter. Iirc the diesel was $6-7k more. I mostly drive short distances, maybe about 12,000 miles per year. I do tow some pretty heavy loads but not fast or far. Freeway last I checked I got about 16 mpg, 11-12 around town.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I do drive Alot!!! I still honestly mostly like diesels cause they are cool!

Not sure if the money would ever justify the cool factor!! Hahaha

Ill prob just drive my Chevy only has 84thousand on it till it blows up.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Why I'll never buy a diesel, they're too easy to mod. They can make stupid power fairly easily and then they break stuff. Like Phil said, they just don't carry the advantages they used too. And diesel is just stupid expensive now. I would go with the 6.2 in a new Chevy before a diesel of any sort...

k.stone

central Ohio
Love the duramax but expensive to buy and maintain.
Great for pulling and hauling but running long distances empty is hard on my lower back(Stiff suspension).
Fun to drive with all that power and noise.
Never checked mileage.
Been there, done that-next one will be gas.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
ok this basically just gave me a reality check into my nuts, but Im happy it did.

I wont buy a diesel, until I know I can afford it no matter the circumstances, I may never buy one!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not trying to kick you in the junk AT. You asked. I gave you an honest opinion. Sounds like you had an idea, asked for opinions, objectively listened to it, and thought it through. That is a good trait. Many others may have "wanted" one, gone out and spent too much money, found it was a bad decision, and lost their shirt. Those with the ability to think critically, separate their wants and needs, and form an opinion, have developed skills many people never do. You will be alright in this world young man!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks,

No hard feelings, you all just made me think logically! Sometimes LOGIC sucks, but it always wins in debates!

Shoulder Blade

I walked out of our hotel in Coshocton and gasped like an asian ladyboy when I saw this in the parking lot.

I don't think he's worried about milage. We figured it is atleast 70k worth of truck.

I was looking at diesels a while back, just couldn't justify the cool factor.

Huckleberry Finn

I walked out of our hotel in Coshocton and gasped like an asian ladyboy when I saw this in the parking lot.

I don't think he's worried about milage. We figured it is atleast 70k worth of truck.

I was looking at diesels a while back, just couldn't justify the cool factor.

He's compensating for a small dick and his grandpa just signed a gas lease! hahaha DAMN that is a hell of a truck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He's compensating for a small dick and his grandpa just signed a gas lease! hahaha DAMN that is a hell of a truck.

lmao

The key is to find the bonehead that buys that truck new. Either a) has so much money he doesn't care if he takes a loss or b) doesn't have as much money as he thought and has to sell it. When one of those two varieties of people have one of these listed for sale, you can do okay.

I chuckle a little when I see someone with a $35,000 F150 that has never hauled so much as a sheet of drywall in it. I chuckle even more when I see a jacked up dually like the one in your picture. Most of the guys driving them have zero use for them as well. I will keep my stock Ram3500 and let it work the life it was intended to work. It can pay for itself rather than me paying for it.