Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Athens this weekend

Lundy

We killed 3 deer and a coyote this weekend.

A 9 point with a funky rack that was on my hunting buddies hit list. We found the old leg injury that was likely the culprit for the funky rack. He wasn't big but my buddy was happy and knows he left 3 good eights that he passed multiple times this year, for next year if they hang around.

My son passed on a 8 point on Saturday morning and a bunch of does in the afternoon. He couldn't hunt Sunday morning but came back Sunday evening with a time to get meat attitude and killed a doe, Sunday and Monday evenings.

Unfortunately my DIL did not get a deer this year. She kept holding out for a buck and then when she decided to shoot a doe for the meat the only opportunity she had was 2 yearlings late Sunday and she decided to let them walk. She said killing them to get 20 pounds of meat didn't make any sense to her. I told her she is learning to be a deer hunter, not a deer killer. I am proud of her as a new hunter. She spend 6 days total from dark to dark and had chances to pull the trigger everyday, just didn't work out for the right deer at the right time.

I was able to finally connect on a coyote Sunday evening. I barked to stop him at 140 yds. He never took a step. 195 gr bullet at 2750 FPS drops them fast. He was a young small coyote and apparently pretty dumb. I tried to bark at one yesterday that was in a slow trot across an open field at 200 yds. I had the second crosshair on him and barked to stop him. He went from a slow trot to flat out getting it in a 1/4 second. No shot for me.

My son has been talking pictures of deer through his scope with his phone for years. He took this one on Saturday morning of a buck he calls slinky. I tried it later with a doe. It is VERY difficult to do. Makes for a kinda cool picture though.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Love those scope pics! Great work on the coyote...

Good to hear your DIL doesn't want to just be a deer killer! A guy has permission on the land we hunt and I really think he hunts just to kill... He knowingly shot a big momma doe this shotgun season and followed it up with a puny little yearling! This dude shoots as many deer per year that he wounds just about. Can't tell ya how many times I jelled him track a deer that he hit... Bad shots, unethical shots, shooting just to shoot, etc. It's a shame that people are like that!