Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A few firsts last week

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Last week around new years the kids wanted to do some hunting, particularly for rabbits since they always see them around the house but have never shot one.

So I decide for them to shoot a rabbit, they are going to have to use a .22 with a scope and earn them the hard way. I set up in the back yard in a narrow spot with one of the kids, then sent the other kid through the property to flush out the rabbits. Well, it was a very productive way of hunting rabbits, a .22 and a shooting stick produced first rabbits about 10 minutes apart for each of my kids.

The next day they wanted to try again, so of course I said OK...

Later on that day, I took my son to a location where there were a few pheasants that I had located earlier, and he was able to shoot 2 big roosters with his 20 gauge youth gun!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Holy smokes! Your kids have been rocking the house Gern! Truly amazing weekend right there. Congratulations to Dane and Mallory!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That is just Fabulous Chad! Those smiles tell the whole story! You're a Real Good Dad! Congrat's to the kids.:smiley_clap:

Huckleberry Finn

Awesome stuff!

I once rabbit hunted with a lady that has done almost all of the wildlife drawings for the state of Ohio. She rabbit hunts in a purple down coat, much like your daughter, and knew how to bust a bunny or two!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang that is awesome, Chad! Your son killed more roosters in one day than I have in my whole life! lol

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
He didn't shoot them flying...we did a little "pheasant drive".....these birds are very wise and like to sneak ahead of the people walking....so that's how we did it. We killed 6 the day before doing almost the same thing.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
What a great few days you had there! They should be hooked for life. :smiley_bril: