Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When to start looking?

Shootonce

Hi guys, Im new to this site. A guick question, when do you guys activly start your search for sheds. I have a few and will post pics when I can. Thanks

Frmrfred

Hey Shootonce, I normally start looking about the middle of Feb. and look hard about the first of March. I try to concentrate on field edges and the first 30 or so yards into the woods. Also like grown up crp fields. It's harder looking but a good spot. Good luck!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Majority of the sheds won't be on the ground till mid March. If you want the exercise you can start now but be prepared to see a lot still carrying and there's a risk of pushing them out of your area.

Welcome to the site and good luck!

Diablo54

Outside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357569716.309259.jpg
Found this in december
But I'd wait till march

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Welcome to TOO! Great Place we got here. Alway's someone willing to help.

I wait until after deer season myself. Don't want to push the deer out before it's over.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to the site!

March 1 is usually the start date for me. I don't want to pressure deer while the season is in and I like to wait until I know most the deer have dropped because I rarely get out more than 3-4 times, so I want to maximize my chances.

Good luck!!!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, I start looking the first of Janurary. Not full bore(lol) but I cruise cut bean fields, winter wheat and clover fields. I don't get serious until mid February. Still, Iam only checking perimeters of bedding areas and food sources. Once March comes around, my Wife hardly sees Me! Lmao! Good luck and welcome to TOO.

Ricer2231

Welcome to a great site. I TOO start looking mid February and then try to hit it hard the first of March. That's not to say I won't go out a little in January, which I will, but more serious later on.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I will proley start looking next week. Most of the bucks I have on camera lately have already shed. The bucks seem to be sheding early this year.
Going to do some low preasure looking to try and beat the tresspessers.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
TODAY is the day that I will start logging time. Just got my Rhino back from the shop and I will hit bean fields and hay fields today. I won't cover much bedding areas yet, to early in my opinion. I am friggin pumped!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, I had an awesome day! I found a horn in a bean field that appears to have been broke in a fight this past fall. It's definitely this years horn, and is snapped of just past the brow tine. I also found a dandy matched set in a corn field. I truly believe that I have his left side from the past two years. I sent the pics TOO Ric, so he can post them for me. I had a great time today, although my Rhino helped me cover some serious ground. I highly recommend the use of an ATV early on!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats bro! The set looks like a dandy!

I walked between 3-4 miles today and just found a descent dead buck with the horns cut off below the burrs and a dead doe...dang!

Ricer2231

I probably logged about 2 miles today, no good. This is a new woods to me that I just recently got permission to hunt next year. I saw a lot of rubs and 3 old scrapes. It looks pretty good. I talked to the landowner and he is really cool. I told him I would be back in a few weeks and he said "treat it like its your place". Hard to find people like that any more.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow that's awesome Don! How many acres and what kind of terrain? Congrats to you because there aren't many landowners like him!

Ricer2231

Wow that's awesome Don! How many acres and what kind of terrain? Congrats to you because there aren't many landowners like him!

It's 40 acres and 75% wooded with the majority of it being locust and really thick. It looks like a good bedding area. There are a few big oak trees in the back corner and that's where I found the majority of the rubs and scrapes. I found a good rub line starting in that back corner and running almost the whole width of the property. I think it's gonna be a pretty good spot. The landowner also gave me some tips of where he used to find sheds on the Powelson Wildlife area, which is close to where I live and is public ground. All in all it was a pretty darn good day. Would have been nicer if I had found a nice set of sheds but ya can't have it all