Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First buck, but....

BGarrett

Belpre
He's not a wall hanger. He will be my trophy as well as the smallest buck I will harvest. I have been very lucky that my wife and daughter have let me get out as much as I have this year. I am also very grateful that I have or have access to the equipment that's let me be out archey, shotgun and muzzleloader seasons.

I headed out to my in-laws after work yesterday. I got dressed and smoked up then grabbed my ghost blind, seat and gun and began the hike to the back of their property. I got set up on a hillside and waited. I sat for about 3 hours and heard something running behind me. It figures, I've been busted once before by a deer that walked right up behind me. I saw what I thought were 2 does and one veered to the left and one stopped. I brought my gun up and found a body with the scope. I could only see the ass since a tree was in the way. The deer turned it's head and I saw a couple horns. Adrenaline is pumping and my brain is trying to comprehend everything. The young buck turned towards me and started to walk in my direction. I moved my gun and brushed the blind. He heard it and stared what I thought were daggers at me. He calmed down and started coming back at me again. I moved my gun location the the opening in the center to watch him. He walked right into the cross-hairs and I sent my shockwave flying. He dropped. The shot was a little high and he did get spined. He passed very quickly, and during the autopsy we saw that as a result of the shot a piece of bone about a half inch wide stuck in the center of his heart. Got back to the house and one of the neighbors came over to let me know that he pushed 3 deer to me hoping I would get a shot at one of them. I am still a pretty happy camper, but I can't help but to think at what this young deer could have turned into.

Here are a couple pics.
truck.jpgblind.jpgdeer.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am still a pretty happy camper, but I can't help but to think at what this young deer could have turned into.

Buddy, it turned into your first buck! Who cares what anyone else thinks? You were out all season and tagged your first buck in the late season. Big congratulations out to you!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Way to go man! Congrats to you on your first buck. No matter how big or small you will always remember your first buck. Good job!

That is right. Sort of like the first time you got laid. No matter how good or bad, you aren't going to forget it. lmao

Huckleberry Finn

I'll tell you the same thing my buddy told me when he saw my 2 yr old buck - sum bitch is gonna be some great eating! They still haven't gotten a recipe for horns, nice first buck!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Congrats on the first buck man!! I remember every detail of the first one I ever killed, and it looked very similar to yours. Can't beat the first. It's a great feeling.