Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help with a crime scene

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Found this today. Don't know feathers that well but I think it was a redtailed hawk. Wonder what killed it? Hard to tell tracks because the snow has melted some. About 50 feet away there is a bunch of rabbit fur all over.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know what kind of bird that is, but I am afraid you might have a bigfoot loose. Be careful out there.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The second picture, tan middle feather looks like the tail feather of a turkey and the white/black look like wing feathers...
Poss a large owl hit a hen from behind, they were pulled out as the hen flapped her wings and the owl used its beak, pulling some out in the fight. A turkey is kinda big for a Redtail hawk. The rabbit may have been from an earlyer kill or its mate.
(wud i win?)

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Dang sam, you stole my thread name idea!!! Yesterday I came up on a newly cleaned deer carcass, but no head!
GMTA :smiley_coolpeace:

I'd be on the look out for a bad ass rabbit with a bald patch. :smiley_boxing: Looks like a hawk started the attack, then got his ass handed to him and decided to back off. :smiley_chinrub:

Whatever happened, I wouldn't go back there without some serious weapons in hand. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Looks like Peregrine Falcon feathers to me. They're quite small, about the size of a crow. He could have been snacking on the rabbit and a cat, yote, or fox took him out.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Dang sam, you stole my thread name idea!!! Yesterday I came up on a newly cleaned deer carcass, but no head!
GMTA :smiley_coolpeace:

You can still use it, my start a new trend like the "I know something" threads:smiley_coolpeace:

BTW your post is worthless without pics.lmao

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'd be on the look out for a bad ass rabbit with a bald patch. :smiley_boxing: Looks like a hawk started the attack, then got his ass handed to him and decided to back off. :smiley_chinrub:

Whatever happened, I wouldn't go back there without some serious weapons in hand. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Well then J might need to train a pit bull to chase bunnies:smiley_crocodile:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Fat chance Sam..... I'll give up bunny hunting before that hahaha first time I shock them they'd turn on me hahaha