Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

About time!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I started seeing a coyote a couple years ago that looked exactly like a big red fox. We saw it a couple of times this season, in fact Mason saw it first and told me there was a big fox coming until he saw the two other coyotes with it. I saw it a total of three times this bow season. I've been hoping to kill it since I first saw it years ago, and had a couple of close calls with it while bowhunting.

Well, I finally caught that sucker today! I went up to pull my snares due to muzzleloader season, and not wanting to have to check them while others may be hunting. I had a couple of close-misses, and caught just one on the 8 snares I had out...but danged if it wasn't one I really wanted to get!

I'll get serious about snagging more yotes around the first of February. Hoping for more snow as it really seems to make catching them a little easier, or at least setting up in the right spots. It will all be anticlimatic at this point, having killed the one I really wanted already, but it's part of what we can all do to protect our fawns.

Attachments

• p_000678 (320x240).jpg
    p_000678 (320x240).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG-20130104-00609.jpg
    IMG-20130104-00609.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 135

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know exactly what what you mean, and you are right, it is a pretty one. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with this one yet but I didn't throw it in a ditch like I usually do.:)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'd like to do something with it, I just don't know what the heck I'd do with a yote in the house... I've pretty well determined I'm not even gonna mount any more deer let alone a dog-looking beast. Still, I'd like to keep it somehow.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Moyle Mink and Tannery will tan it for about 36.00 shipping and all. Gotta be skinned and dried or salted good though. I'd at least get it tanned if nothing else. You may never get another one Brock.........If you don't, bet you wish you had later on. It's your call though buddy.

Ricer2231

Get him tanned and hang him up somewhere. Definitely a cool color

Got to try that snaring.

X2 I would definitely do something with it. You just don't see those every day. Here is what I did with the last deer hide I got.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357346565.924658.jpg
My wife had the custom sign made for
me,it's all part of my man cave. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think you guys are right, I gotta save it somehow. If I'd have shot it with an arrow, I'd have mounted it. As is, I think I will get it tanned.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had one tanned last year. Doesn't take up much room. If you decide not to display it you can roll it up and stuff it away somewhere. Great way to preserve a beautiful hide.