Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Got the flintlock out today.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Had my flintlock out today. Went ffffffffffftBANG every time so with a dry forecast I think I'll be carrying it come Saturday. Haven't shot at a deer with a rocklock yet so I'm hoping one will cooperate and stop broadside inside 100 yards for me.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Good luck sam. Hopefully one cooperates. Us city folk will be cheering for you

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
At least I'll be able too hear you shoot versus everyone elses in lines lol..... ffffffffffftBANG vs BANG...... :smiley_clap:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Good luck sam. Hopefully one cooperates. Us city folk will be cheering for you

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Outstanding! Hope to hear about you connecting. I believe you have some good karma coming back your direction!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good luck, Sam! That's something I should put on my bucket list. Hope you can get it done!

I've never had a problem with my flintlock. I stick a tooth pick in the touch hole if its raining or snowing. If it comes time to shoot I remove the the tooth pick and charge the pan. If its humid or wet out use FFFg powder instead of FFFFg in your pan. I've had a few FTF's with my percussion cap hawken in the snow.
Good luck Sam

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Kill a beauty with that beauty!

Even if you don't see any deer, at least you'll score points for lookin' good :smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Kill a beauty with that beauty!

Even if you don't see any deer, at least you'll score points for lookin' good :smiley_coolpeace:

No doubt about that. To me, this is sort of like the guy that has the Ferrari he drives once or twice a year. Sure looks good sitting in the garage, but would look a lot better with Sam smiling behind the wheel. haha

Seeing Sam tag a deer with this one would just plain rock!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Had my flintlock out today. Went ffffffffffftBANG every time so with a dry forecast I think I'll be carrying it come Saturday. Haven't shot at a deer with a rocklock yet so I'm hoping one will cooperate and stop broadside inside 100 yards for me.

Heres to your success Sam!:smiley_cheers:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Well thought I'd update you on how it went. I didn't get a deer but I probably wouldn't have with the Encore either. Saturday I saw 2 deer heading through some grape vines 50-75 yards away. They stopped where I couldn't see them well, then the one turned and stopped where I could see its head but the chest was behind a tree. Couldn't see antlers so when it took a step forward I tried a shot. Powder in the pan just sizzled and it didn't go off. Turn out another guy hunting with me saw it better and it was a small spike so I was happy with the misfire.

Not shots yesterday.

Today I had a bb at about 40 yards once again in brush and I never had a clear shot. After lunch I had a coyote running at 60-70 yards in open woods so I figured not much to lose so I took a shot. Rifle went off perfectly but needless to say that yote was safe.

The next drive there is a property line that we can't cross but that guy has no qualms about hunting the ground we have permission for(and he doesn't). It's very brushy old unreclaimed strip ground. I post about 100 ft from one of his stands. I'm not there long and hear a 4 wheeler, numb nuts pulls up about 50 ft from his stand. While he's messing around 2 does come through the thick brush and just before they get to a clear spot they make numb nuts so they turn and head back the way they just came from. They don't go far and something in front of them spooks them and they turn and now are coming fast towards me, at 10 yards I pull the trigger on the lead doe just as she jumps a limb. Rifle goes off perfectly be I'm aiming about a foot low. So that ended my muzzleloader season.

I did learn something. I was using 4f powder to prime, but it absorbs moisture easily. After the misfire I switched to 3f for priming and the rifle worked perfectly.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Wondered how it had gone for you Sam. Thanks for the tip on 3F. I've never tried that.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
That's too nice of a gun to be bustin around on drives!

Yes it a nice gun, but it was meant to be used. I take very good care of my guns but I don't baby them. I'll go through the thickest shit but I don't use the gun to bust through. The gun seldom leaves my hand and I'm pretty good at falling in a way that the gun is on top(most of the time)