Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pelt care

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Yes, we can google how you're supposed to do it, but I want to know how you do it. Lets hear what you do with your trap line trophies.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm not much of a trapper. The few coyotes I've snare received the best of care though. I cut off their tails and threw the rest of those stinking things in a ditch. Probably not the right way.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm not much of a trapper. The few coyotes I've snare received the best of care though. I cut off their tails and threw the rest of those stinking things in a ditch. Probably not the right way.

What else you do with them Brock????? :smiley_coolpeace:

bigdave

I put up everything I catch (except 2 little possums) this year. Also put up coon and fox for the kids I have been helping. Sending all my fur to NAFA Sunday hopefully my best year ever on prices.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I put up everything I catch (except 2 little possums) this year. Also put up coon and fox for the kids I have been helping. Sending all my fur to NAFA Sunday hopefully my best year ever on prices.

Great work Dave, awesome haul. I love the tag along thread! I'd love to know how you handle the animal after the trap to the pelt being complete.

bigdave

Great work Dave, awesome haul. I love the tag along thread! I'd love to know how you handle the animal after the trap to the pelt being complete.

Ok lets take you along on a typical catch. First will be a coon in a blind set on a drowner (I have shown what I call a floater in my ride along) Reach in the deep water and slide the lock back up the cable, oh by the way it's below freezing and the water is only open because it's moving so work quick. Remove the coon and reset the trap. Don't throw the coon up on the muddy bank, I leave mine in the water at the set so they stay clean. Same thing getting out of the river don't drag it through the cockle burrs. Get it to your skinning area and hang to dry (I hang by a front foot so the water runs off and fur lays natural) once it is dry or nearly dry time to skin. I make my opening cuts just like on most of the you tube videos.
Cutting from top of foot to 1/2 way between the pecker (on a male or imaginary on female) and the rectum.

Cut the opposite leg the same meeting in the middle of the coon.

Then make 2 cuts on either side of the rectum straight up to meet the other cuts

Sorry my photobucket died I will finish this tomorrow

bigdave

BigDave, I'd love for you to finish this when you have time.
Quote Originally Posted by 5Cent View Post
Ok lets take you along on a typical catch. First will be a coon in a blind set on a drowner (I have shown what I call a floater in my ride along) Reach in the deep water and slide the lock back up the cable, oh by the way it's below freezing and the water is only open because it's moving so work quick. Remove the coon and reset the trap. Don't throw the coon up on the muddy bank, I leave mine in the water at the set so they stay clean. Same thing getting out of the river don't drag it through the cockle burrs. Get it to your skinning area and hang to dry (I hang by a front foot so the water runs off and fur lays natural) once it is dry or nearly dry time to skin. I make my opening cuts just like on most of the you tube videos.

Cutting from top of foot to 1/2 way between the pecker (on a male or imaginary on female) and the rectum.

Cut the opposite leg the same meeting in the middle of the coon.

Then make 2 cuts on either side of the rectum straight up to meet the other cuts

Sorry had to re-post the original message.
I will set a few more traps today and get a couple more coon so I can finish my step by step instructions. If they are rubbed I will release all but 1 so I can get some more pics. No sense killing coons that will be downgraded at NAFA