Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

its time to start thinking about spring...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well its time believe it or not....what you gonna do this year? Im focusing on mast tree development. chestnuts, paw paws, apples and pears...the catalogs have been arriving this week and the research has begun....are your ready?

If anyone in central wants to team up on some orders let me know and we can reduce shipping costs potentially. I have a paw paw trees ordering going in and i know there is a limited stock most times...

Last edited:
Reactions: Spencie

Gordo

Athens County
I'll be looking into planting some apple tree's at my new spot. Possibly some paw paw and other fruit tree's also.

Should b fun to watch them develop over time

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Paw paw are 3 bucks a tree bare root.. 2.50 for volume discount...my order alone puts us in volume:smiley_coolpeace: Actually all trees are 2.50 each. Need to schedule shipping time. I'm thinking april 1st. All of mine are going in grow tubes to protect them. Apple tress are best to get from Big Lots...i think they are 15 bucks each they are 6+ footers..

I will PM you John on the chestnuts....don't need no more competition for them as they are hard to find

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will be removing the pines and oaks which didn't make it in the spring. After this, I will relocate the remaining trees into tighter plantings. I plan to add some fruit trees but I will be moving mast producing trees. Can you say "tracked skid loader with tree spade"?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I may be interested in some trees too, Milo.

Aside from that, it's just going to be business as usual... mineral site refreshing around April or so, maybe some tree girdling or hinge-cutting here and there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My hinge cutting is done, minerals are out, soil samples taken and will be delivered this week. I also determined what food I would be planting this year and will be building my own mix to try this season. With the introduction of 3 acres of corn on our land, it will change things for sure. One of my plots will be a secluded plot situated in an inside corner just off the corn. The other two will be the ones I planted this fall. I am currently contemplating planting something in the spring for the first time ever...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My hinge cutting is done, minerals are out, soil samples taken and will be delivered this week. I also determined what food I would be planting this year and will be building my own mix to try this season. With the introduction of 3 acres of corn on our land, it will change things for sure. One of my plots will be a secluded plot situated in an inside corner just off the corn. The other two will be the ones I planted this fall. I am currently contemplating planting something in the spring for the first time ever...

Keep us posted on those soils results, for curiosity-sake.

I bet you that secluded inside corner plot will get fuggin hammered by the deer. It may be worth your time to actually put up a seclusion fence around it. In spots like that where I've planted, the deer seem to eat the sprouts just as fast as they pop up. And planting some clover in a spring plot would be a good way to boost some N before going into the fall planting. If memory is correct, brassicas and radishes need lots of nitrogen, so planting some clover may save you on the fertilizer bill this fall.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just a thought. Throw something in this fall which is an annual. Spray the crap out of it several times throughout the year to get it as weed free as possible. When it dies out in the fall, go in and frost seed clover in late Feb to early March. Might be one killer clover plot about 13-14months.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
my trees should be delivered in a few weeks. I'm ready to get them in the ground. need to replant a few from the drought this year but we should be GTG this year. Apple tree delivery should be any day now..need to order more paw paws here soon.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I knew there were a few tree posts, had to do some digging. Milo, how are all of these 10yr olds doing these days?

Passing along this nursery and some cool packages. I opted for 2 of the windbreaker 100 packages to start the privacy sections of our land. Some good mixes for mast, berries, etc.

Screenshot_20230113_155929_Office.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I knew there were a few tree posts, had to do some digging. Milo, how are all of these 10yr olds doing these days?

Passing along this nursery and some cool packages. I opted for 2 of the windbreaker 100 packages to start the privacy sections of our land. Some good mixes for mast, berries, etc.

View attachment 170930

Pretty cool. I'll have to check them.out.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Chestnuts are doing decent… one had the blight, the other seems to have it at well and one seems to be immune… not all Dunsten chestnuts are blight proof I can tell you that much…I’m propagating seeds this winter from the

pawpaw didn’t make it

Oaks are putting on acorns that I’m propagating this winter as well

persimmons are producing great