Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need some advice

youngbuck

I've been trapping this year but with the frozen ground it's been a little slow. So instead I've been trying to call in some coyotes but haven't had any luck yet. I see tracks all around but have yet to call one in. Is there any tricks or advice to help kill a coyote?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Wind, scent, and time.

I treat it like run/gun turkey hunting with a rifle but you have to play the wind like deer hunting. I also have MUCH better luck between the hours of 12am-3am. I have no advice on trapping but I would think the frozen/snow covered ground would help.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
What are you using to call them in? Depending on the weather will determine how hungry they are. I found out they became a lot more hungry after some snow has been on the ground a little while. And if you're doing it during the day, you have to make a lot of moves, and wind is always a factor. They are unbelievably smart and a lot of times will see you before you ever see them. The best way to kill them is to know where they should be coming from, get the wind in your favor and using an electronic caller. Mouth calls have never worked well for me. They really key them into your location. Using a rabbit decoy gives them something to key in on instead.

youngbuck

I normally use my rabbit squealer hand call but I have an electronic speaker and calls on my phone. I recently ordered a decoy that moves around from bass pro. I heard that the movement helps draw the coyote in closer. Thanks for the advice!