Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hey J...I know something (not deer!)

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
We have 4 so far. I have lots of time to take pictures since I'm expecting her to have around a dozen! I'll post some pics later.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What kind of dog? 12???? One of my beagles had a litter of 12.... That was a full time job there..... Rotating the pups for feeding she was overwhelmed and kept leaving them..... She wasn't real happy with me at times lol....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Golden Retriever and she just pushed out her 5th. One of my other Goldens had 15 pups before!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn.... Are they known for large litters? I figured 4-6 would be the norm for a large breed like that.... But then again it's all relative I guess....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Around 8 to 10 is a normal size litter, but I specifically keep my female line which produces larger litters.

By the time all the pups sell, I am more than ready to be done cleaning up puppy poo for quite awhile! :smiley_crocodile:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Damn.... Are they known for large litters? I figured 4-6 would be the norm for a large breed like that.... But then again it's all relative I guess....

her dog is a lil easy....lmao

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Been trying to get a picture up for an hour now! I downloaded them onto the laptop, then saw that I didn't have internet connection. Did a search on the desktop and discovered there is a little button that had gotten turned off by accident (Not naming any names, Honey!) so finally here is a pic!

Joy.jpg

We are at 8 pups right now. I'll be surprised if that is all she has, but she isn't pushing, so it could be all. We have a vet appointment at 5.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Ended up with 9 pups. There was over a 5 hour gap between pup 8 and pup 9, but he appears to be perfectly fine. Took Momma to the vet for her check-up and she's great. The vet said she was overfed during pregnancy, which is why she still looks like she is carrying a couple more, but x-rays confirmed that she birthed them all. I did over feed her, since she had previously thrown 12 puppies. Oh wells!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad they all made the arrival Diane..... Have you ever had any issues with losing one out of a large litter like that????

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Generally if there is a big time gap between deliveries (like there was today) then a pup is stuck and will be stillborn. Or Momma is too tired to keep pushing like she should. Sometimes it also backs up the rest of the pups behind it and you lose all of them.

The biggest problem with large litters is the Momma getting tired of birthing and you have to make sure you get them all out of their sacks if she is too tired to do it, or she'll not get to them in time and they suffocate. Like today, Joy took over 12 hours from first pup to last and though she did clean the sack, she just left the pup lay rather than give it more cleaning time like she should have. She was wore out.

As for live pups, sometimes a new mother will lay on one by accident, which kills it and that's really sad. Other than that, I just make sure each one is getting its fair share of momma's milk. Generally if you get them through the first 2 weeks, all is good. I start puppy food at 3 weeks of age to help Momma out.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Probably $350, that's what I usually charge. I always check the "going rate" right before they are ready to go, but I am usually the cheapest on price, or damn near.