Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Trip - South Bloomingville - Hocking County

HuntingAgain

Hello all,

I am putting a trip together to bow hunt the late season west of S Bloomingville off of SR 56 with some friends. We have never been to the area to see it but have looked at the property on Google Earth and topo maps. The owner of the property took a nice buck during gun week so we hope there are some deer left. We will be hunting there Jan 17 - 20.

Looking for any useful information on the area including hunting, bow shops, processors (hopefully we need one), restaurants, etc.

Happy New Year,
Hunting Again

Milo

Tatonka guide.
From what i have been seeing, dont be surprised if there are quite a few shed bucks. I would look into the hocking hills on The web for some places to eat. I know logan has a fantastic pizza place.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My Grandpa's farm was 7 miles from Bloomingville. It was great hunting years ago. The last time I hunted in the area (about 4 yrs ago), it was pretty disappointing to me. We used to hunt a farm right on the Vinton/Hocking line that was maybe 3 miles down Goose Creek rd that was phenominal. Perhaps it's still as good as it ever was. If so, you'll have a blast! Good luck!

HuntingAgain

I am sure it will be different for us with or without seeing any deer. Coming from the flatlands up here and going to 21 acres of private ground down in the hills of Hocking County will be a good time. My son hunted in the Nelsonville area when he attended Hocking College over 10 years ago. I had not hunted since I gave it up in 1975 (gun) untill he got me going again last year with a crossbow. He shoots a compound and we will have some friends taking the trip with us that also will be using crossbows after they finish muzzy season this weekend. We will have a good time just all being at the same place and the hunting is the icing on the cake.

lung buster

hocking county
Welcome to my neighborhood. I have hunted here for 20 some years. The hunting is not as good as it once was but there are a few left around. You will find a few restaurants and a pizza shop in Laurelville. Your closest processor would probably be in Logan. Steve Edwards does a good job, 740-385-5907. Good luck and have fun!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welcome to my neighborhood. I have hunted here for 20 some years. The hunting is not as good as it once was but there are a few left around. You will find a few restaurants and a pizza shop in Laurelville. Your closest processor would probably be in Logan. Steve Edwards does a good job, 740-385-5907. Good luck and have fun!

Gary Mitchel still processing? I knew him well years ago (he was a neighbor and teacher in high school). I've never had him do a deer for me, but I have had sausage he made...as good as any I've ever had. I think he's around South Perry now.

lung buster

hocking county
Yes as far as i know. I believe he quit doing them during gun season though! He has done a few for me and does a very good job. He is out towards Tarlton now.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am sure it will be different for us with or without seeing any deer. Coming from the flatlands up here and going to 21 acres of private ground down in the hills of Hocking County will be a good time. My son hunted in the Nelsonville area when he attended Hocking College over 10 years ago. I had not hunted since I gave it up in 1975 (gun) untill he got me going again last year with a crossbow. He shoots a compound and we will have some friends taking the trip with us that also will be using crossbows after they finish muzzy season this weekend. We will have a good time just all being at the same place and the hunting is the icing on the cake.

With that attitude I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves! Best of luck!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hunted that area last year for a week. I am in Lima. Don't listen to the locals complaining of low deer numbers. Their "low deer numbers" are like a smorgasbord for us.

HuntingAgain

I hunted that area last year for a week. I am in Lima. Don't listen to the locals complaining of low deer numbers. Their "low deer numbers" are like a smorgasbord for us.

My son and I hunted a small 1 acre woods in Lima (near I-75 & Breese Rd) last year that a friend of mine owned. We seen several nocturnal deer there on cameras but never got a shot at any of them. This year we were lucky enough to have a local farmer give us bow access on 15 acres here in Van Wert County.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You were within walking distance of our business and just a few miles from my house SW of you and a few miles of our other shop SE of this location. 1ac? That is some tough hunting right there.

Best of luck in southern Ohio.

HuntingAgain

Well I am sure you would know the land owner where we were hunting. He is a dog trainer and retired officer. If it was closer I would still be hunting that little one acre spot. Deer travel in and out of that spot from other woods and bed down near the little pond at times. There is also a few turkeys that call the woods home. But the hour drive one way made it only convieniently accessible on weekends which are limited due to work schedules. Having found a small woods closer we can now be in the treestand in under 30 minutes and go hunt some mornings before opening our store at 10am. Maybe some day when I am in the area I will stop by your business and see if you are there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well I am sure you would know the land owner where we were hunting. He is a dog trainer and retired officer. If it was closer I would still be hunting that little one acre spot. Deer travel in and out of that spot from other woods and bed down near the little pond at times. There is also a few turkeys that call the woods home. But the hour drive one way made it only convieniently accessible on weekends which are limited due to work schedules. Having found a small woods closer we can now be in the treestand in under 30 minutes and go hunt some mornings before opening our store at 10am. Maybe some day when I am in the area I will stop by your business and see if you are there.

Absolutely. I know exactly who you are referring to. I bought my GSP from him. My GSP is the "Hank" of "Hank Tucker Outdoors." Hank was a detective dog washout but loves the outdoors and tracking deer. In fact, he has tracked some deer in the area within a few miles of there. Our mutual friend is a real good guy.

Doubt you will catch me in at the business. We mainly use it in the spring. Mulch and top soil sales take place there mainly. We have a shop at our house and on another location as well. Never know where I will be. Now a Saturday in the spring will just about always find me there loading mulch for people.