Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ice Safety

Be careful, very careful and treat all ice as if it were unsafe...because it is, until you know better. Just because you test the ice at one pond/lake, doesn't mean it's safe at the next one. As far as that goes...just because the ice is thick enough where you were just fishing doesn't mean that it's as thick in the next location, on the same piece of water.

There are ice fishing reports coming in, already, about guys getting out on 3" of ice...and falling through on Indian Lake. REALLY? It's early guys, take your time, the fish ain't going anywhere. Check the ice with a spud bar, as you go...everywhere you go. Wear your rescue ice picks and have your sled/gear on 20' or more of rope, behind you...less weight in one place.

Good fishing, Bowhunter57

Frmrfred

Bowhunter57 you are so correct. I myself do not ice fish but i am in the bait and tackle business and am always hearing stories about guys falling thru the ice. i am mainly around the Mosquito Lake, Pymatuning lake area and every year it happens. So great advice. Everyone stay safe.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You're right... the fish aren't going anywhere... but the ice fishing season in Ohio is sporadic at best, and one never knows just how long it'll last. So I completely understand why guys are chomping at the bit to get out there and fish. If it's safe, fish it... If it's not, get off it.

My brother and I went out for a little road trip to check some of the ice in the places that we usually fish.

The only reservoir that was froze over is Lima Lake and it's only 2" thick with white and clear ice mixed. Apparently, there were some wet spots that melted the snow and are attempting to refreeze...therefore the clear ice. A local lake was the same condition, which is Schoonover Lake. I'm giving it another week, before checking it again.

Bowhunter57

badger

*Supporting Member*
Yesterday off the rt 88 causeway at Mosquito.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357087215.042090.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff, badger. Guys have been fishing on the ponds at Resthaven this week already, too. I drove by Vickery yesterday and Sandusky Bay is even froze over. Granted at most places the ice is total shit, but it won't be long. I'm going to pull some ice gear down from the loft this week and get things prepped.