Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tell me about Muck Boots

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So, wife gives me an IOU for birthday present - a pair of boots, any kind I want.
Well, my $35 Proline boots I bought at Meijer on clearance have served me well, but it's time to upgrade and replace, and I'm wantin' some Mucks.

Was lookin' at 'em at basspro and another guy was telling me to look into the Muck "woody max" - good for cold weather with a better sole than the less expensive models. Looked 'em up online and they look like what I want, but I have a couple of questions/concerns that maybe someone here has some experience with.

The product description states:
Comfort range 60° F to -40° F
CR flex-foam bootie (5mm) with four-way stretch nylon

So here are my questions:
1) Can I wear these without burning up in warmer weather (50-60 deg)?
2) That flexfoam bootie - is that something that comes out separate from the boot? Or is that just the permanent construction inside the boot? (I really don't want something with an insert)
Also, I usually wear a 13XW, so I was just going to get a 14 - has anybody ever had width difficulties with a Muck boot?

Your comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Funny Dan, I was just looking at the same boot. I have BassPro gift cards and I need a new pair.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would seriously take a look at the Lacross Alpha Burley boots. I had a 1000 gram thunsulate pair that lasted me 4 years before they started leaking. The GF just bought me a new pair for Christmas that is 1200 grams. I wore my 1000 gram boots turk hunting and my feet never got hot. Sounds cooky but it's almost like they're breathable. I walked around for about an hour in the snow Sunday and my feet were nice and warm with regular socks on. Take a look at them

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have had about every pair of boot in this category under the sun and the Muck Wetlands I had were among my all time favorite boot. I also had the Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots and like them real well, but they didn't hold up like I expected. Right now I am wearing the Rocky Mud Sox and they are they best boots I have had in a long time.

As far as the Muck's go, if your feet are prone to sweating, they will sweat like hell in those boots in temps above 45-50. The boot is a solid construction, so there is no removable liner or anything like that. I had my Wetlands which are similar to the Woody Maxs for close to 4 years, so they are a well made boot and worth the money.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have had about every pair of boot in this category under the sun and the Muck Wetlands I had were among my all time favorite boot. I also had the Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots and like them real well, but they didn't hold up like I expected. Right now I am wearing the Rocky Mud Sox and they are they best boots I have had in a long time.

As far as the Muck's go, if your feet are prone to sweating, they will sweat like hell in those boots in temps above 45-50. The boot is a solid construction, so there is no removable liner or anything like that. I had my Wetlands which are similar to the Woody Maxs for close to 4 years, so they are a well made boot and worth the money.

How long ago did you have the burleys? My last pair lasted 4 years of deer, turkey, and coon hunting, but when they started to go it was quick. They have a one year warranty on them is why I'm asking. The new ones I got are nicer. They fit better in the ankle and bend better in front of the ankle across the top of my feet. But the real reason I like them is they keep my feet nice and warm for deer season but my feet aren't a sweaty mess during turkey season.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have the Rocky MudSox and they are kick ass so far. Much like the Muck...I got mine at the outlet for $49.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I called Muck and the guy told me that the flex-foam bootie is not an insert but permanent construction (which is what I want - don't want any kind of removable insert). So "check" as far as that goes. When I was explaining that I wanted to stay warm but not be too hot in spring/fall he suggested the Wetlands as being able to handle a little higher temps.....do the wetlands stay warm in real cold weather?

I looked at the alfaburly online and don't think I want something with the snap/strap at the top. But I think I'll call Gander and see if they have any in stock that I can look at. Joe hit exactly on what I want when he said "But the real reason I like them is they keep my feet nice and warm for deer season but my feet aren't a sweaty mess during turkey season. "

The Muck woody max has a comfort rating up to 60deg F....the Wetlands is rated only 10deg higher at 70degF, but you give up 20deg on the bottom end (from -40deg for the woody max to -20deg for the wetlands) Who the hell am I kidding? I ain't goin out below zero...but still...

I'm just looking for the perfect boot. Is that too much to ask of the shoe industry?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dan, IMO, stay away from the cheaper($80) Muck Rangers!!!!! The traction is beyond pathetic! Heck, I slid on dry leaves and dirt on gradual inclines! I love the traction of my LC Alpha Burleys!

The Muck Rangers are prolly the worse boots I ever owned! Imho

In my future purchases on any boot, tread will be REAL important! Just sayin'!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
yeah, I was reading about the rocky mudsocks on their website and they make a big deal about the tread being kinda self-cleaning.

hmmm...this choice may not be as quick or easy as I'd hoped.

dammit

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How long ago did you have the burleys? My last pair lasted 4 years of deer, turkey, and coon hunting, but when they started to go it was quick. They have a one year warranty on them is why I'm asking. The new ones I got are nicer. They fit better in the ankle and bend better in front of the ankle across the top of my feet. But the real reason I like them is they keep my feet nice and warm for deer season but my feet aren't a sweaty mess during turkey season.

Circa 2006-2007 I believe. They cracked along the heel line after 18 months of wear. In terms of comfort, they were probably my favorite boot, but they didn't hold up like I expected. But not as bad as the Irish Setters I had. Loved those for the 12 months they lasted. Pretty said to pay $130 for boots that can't take a years worth of beating from a redneck.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So I called Muck and the guy told me that the flex-foam bootie is not an insert but permanent construction (which is what I want - don't want any kind of removable insert). So "check" as far as that goes. When I was explaining that I wanted to stay warm but not be too hot in spring/fall he suggested the Wetlands as being able to handle a little higher temps.....do the wetlands stay warm in real cold weather?

I looked at the alfaburly online and don't think I want something with the snap/strap at the top. But I think I'll call Gander and see if they have any in stock that I can look at. Joe hit exactly on what I want when he said "But the real reason I like them is they keep my feet nice and warm for deer season but my feet aren't a sweaty mess during turkey season. "

The Muck woody max has a comfort rating up to 60deg F....the Wetlands is rated only 10deg higher at 70degF, but you give up 20deg on the bottom end (from -40deg for the woody max to -20deg for the wetlands) Who the hell am I kidding? I ain't goin out below zero...but still...

I'm just looking for the perfect boot. Is that too much to ask of the shoe industry?

I've never had any problems from the strap. The buckle is just like the ones on the Spypoint strap. Phil the tag end and shut the clamp. If you leave it open it has a stop so the tag end stays in the buckle. Personally I like having the strap. When walking a long distance it's nice to leave the tops loose. It's less tiring on the legs if you don't have to flex a boot upper with every step. It doesn't chafe your calf in lighter pants like jeans. And prevents heel wear on the inside of the boot if it isn't right on your calf when walking a long way. But the best part is it makes em way easier to put on and keep your pant legs down. Another reason I like them is I've never had them eat my socks. Maybe go try a pair on And see if you like em. Personally that's all I'll ever buy.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I like the Woody Max Boots. They are rather warm with Bass Pro Lifetime socks in the winter. In spring, I just wear a real thin pair of socks to turkey hunt in. Don't remember ever having my feet miserably hot.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've got the Alpha Burly's and have been using them for two years now. They have held up ok, bit the souls are coming unglued. My next pair to try will be mucks, so I will be watching this thread.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have 2 pairs of alphas and 1 pair of mucks...probably wont be getting either again so my search begins. My original alphas ar 6 years old and have worn the shat out of them and this is it for them. My 4 year old pair is not holding up as well

Ricer2231

I love my Woody Elites. This was the first year in a long time that my feet never got cold. I had Rockys, Northerners, and Irish Setter rubbers and I could not keep my feet warm. I wore two light pairs of socks this year with the Hothands foot warmers and like I said my feet stayed toasty all day long. I have heard from a couple friends of mine the only draw back to the Mucks is the camo pattern on the lower part has a tendency to fade. These are my first pair so I really couldn't tell ya first hand if this is true or not.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I hate online reviews. Products either get a 5 or a 1. WTF.

I'm biting on the Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I hate online reviews. Products either get a 5 or a 1. WTF.

I'm biting on the Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots.

I'm with ya on the reviews. But this thread is proving very helpful.

I will now be referring to LaCrosse Alpha Burly's as LAB and Muck's as MWM (woody max) or MW (wetlands)
So, boss lets us out early today so I slide up to Gander Mtn to check on the LAB's....lo and behold, they've got both LAB's and MWM on the wall display.
Look 'em over and decide that the buckle on the LAB's might not be so bad and I'd like to try both out. Turns out they have the MWM's in stock in 14, but not the LAB's. They only have the LAB's in size 9. Size 9, wtf? Size 9?!?!? Anyway, try the MWMs and they were kinda harder to get on than I'd anticipated, and a little tighter. Not awful, but a little too tight. The left one fit better than the right, but every pair of shoes I buy is the same, one fits better than the other. Pisses me off, because it's not always the same side. So anyway, I got 'em on and I'm walking around and thinking "man, these are pretty good. And they're on sale. But they just aren't exactly what I thought they'd be...maybe I should get the 15's". Of course they don't have 15's in stock. Which might be a good thing, because I probably would have jumped on 'em. Now I'm gonna call around and see if I can find someone with a pair of the LABs in stock I can try on.

I liked how stretchy the uppers on the MWMs were. And they are light, at least in comparison to what I'm accustomed to. But they were harder to get on and off than I'd hoped, and I can see how the strap on the back of the LABs might help in that dept.

The search goes on

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I can tell you from experience the strap on the LABs is not made to assist in taking them off. It doesn't take much to tear the strap right off the upper part of the boot.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I ordered the LABs in size 14 from BassPro with free shipping by entering HUNT12 in the promo box.