Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rabbit numbers

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The number of rabbits seems to be back up again this year. I was out and about on the farm working the cattle today. There are rabbit tracks everywhere.
Under one ceder tree there is a spot 15 ft in diameter the the snow is totally cover with tracks. No rhime or reason that I could see as I have 100's of ceder trees.
We must be on the up cycle of rabbit numbers. 4-5 years ago it was no problem of finding 5-6 rabbits in the yard at one time.
Frank

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
What's a rabbit?

Haven't seen near the amount we once did since the amount of redtails and yote started to increase and toss in a breading pair of eagles down the road and the ol bunny vanish pretty quick.

Glad to see you got a few to chase after man. With this snow cover and colder temps should make for some fun. Good luck if ya go out.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Frank, I saw quite a few early this fall. I figured the dry spring helped the young bunnies. Wet nests kill 'em, and heaven knows nests stayed dry this year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Seems the numbers are pretty close too what I had seen last year..... Hitting a new peice of land tomorrow with the landowner and he said it's polluted with them, so we'll see how it looks..... But he rest of the properties I hunt it's pretty much status quoe..... :smiley_coolpeace:

bluedog

I think the population on my farm is up a bit this year. The drought year was good for bunny nests not getting drowned out around here. I've probably shot a half dozen or so from the farm which is about my usual yearly limit. I've let some kids take a couple more and have (hopefully) another new hunter coming out yet this year and hopefully they will get a couple. But I really try to limit the number I shoot so the rabbits can make more for next year. :)