Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snow + Cold + Wind = Bad News for Birds

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Carpn Jake, myself, and another guy met up in Jake's neck of the woods yesterday to hunt a corn stubble field. Jake's been scouting this valley for a quite a while and, although the geese he saw were always flying and not sitting in the field, we figured with a good enough spread we'd have little difficulty running traffic on them. The snow, low temps, and windy conditions made for a rough time on the birds. They really didn't stand a chance.

The ducks flew a bit earlier than the geese and we managed to scratch out 4 greenheads. They couldn't wait to sit down in the corn... It was a thing of beauty the way these birds worked.

The first flock of geese to come in had 6 birds... They swung in slightly to the right of the shooting hole and we wiped out all 6. A little while later, another decent flock of 10-12 birds worked right in to the right side of our spread. We only needed 3 to finish up, however all but 2 flew away on this volley. (More to come on that in a bit) A few minutes later another group of geese finished and I dropped #9. While packing up and walking out, the geese were flying all around us. We could have shot them all day!

Some action shots from the Spypoint IR6...

Now we would have been finished on the second flock, but I had a bit of a "mishap." The birds dropped right into our string of silhoettes along the right side. It was a difficult shooting angle for all of us, so we decided to ground swat them. Jake, being all the way on the left, had to jump out of his blind and shoot them on the back side. Anyway, I didn't get a good look of them landing. Jake yelled, "kill 'em!"... I flipped the doors open, swing around to my right 90-degrees, and put my beed on the first head sticking up on the right side. BANG, bang, bang. Jake says, "I got mine." "I got mine," replied Aaron. "I shot a fucking silhoette!" I said. lol Sure enough, only 2 dead geese lay there and there's a silo rocking back and forth. I could not believe it. I thought for sure it was one of the geese that had just landed! Oh man... It was pretty funny, yet incredibly embarrassing and frustrating at the same time.

Proof that Hevi Metal 3.5" 3's work pretty well on silhoettes, too...

I've got some decent i-Kam footage too but I haven't gotten around to uploading it yet. More to come later...

---

Oh and we busted them up again this morning in one of my fields up here. 1 greenhead and 8 more geese. Somehow I forgot to take any pictures today, though! Doh!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
rotflmao that's awesome Jim!! Hey, it just speaks to the realism of those decoys!!

Good shooting guys :smiley_cowboy:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
rotflmao that's awesome Jim!! Hey, it just speaks to the realism of those decoys!!

Good shooting guys :smiley_cowboy:

I always use to say, "Man I don't know how anyone could be dumb enough to shoot one of their decoys."

Well... now I know. lmao

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I should frame it and give it to you Jim....lol. . That was hilarious. Next time shoot one of yours though . Haha . . Plenty of geese around now. Should be a strong finish for the yr....Then we got late goose season here in a few weeks .

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Very nice! Killin machines.... once they start hitting my fields I will throw an announcement out to get some guys together to slay them. I know theres a few central ohio guys that would come and im sure some from a little further out.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I should frame it and give it to you Jim....lol. . That was hilarious. Next time shoot one of yours though . Haha . . Plenty of geese around now. Should be a strong finish for the yr....Then we got late goose season here in a few weeks .

That silo would look good hanging on my garage wall.... lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
...the bad, AND the ugly... :smiley_blackeye: lmao

[video=youtube;7Qfvl8NBD78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qfvl8NBD78&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited: