Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer movement in snow storms

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Super! If I had a buck tag, hopefully a standing cornfield in my area. Great for stalking standing corn, cause you can bet the standing corn has food, cover and wind protection. It would be a fun challenge too sneak up on a shooter buck in this heavy snow. Fresh tracks, also would be a dead give away as where they are coming from and where they are going. It could fill your freezer and your wall. Just sayin!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Well so much for that ideal. I left my house at 0430 for the hour drive to Letterkenny. There was only hunter in the deer management area and guess where he was at? Yelp, the very stand I wanted to hunt. It's all good though. He checked in at 0400 so I'm guessing he wanted it pretty darn bad. :smiley_coolpeace:

So I go to another area and that's when the real problems started. I was half way up the tree when my climbing aid BROKE!!!! The aluminum tubing was cracked and started stretching outwards! I managed to tie off the aid so that it would spread anymore and climbed the last two feet I needed. My stand is jacked up, but I figure I'm already up and I may as well hunt. Then I drop my hat and one of my hand warmers. Then as I'm pulling my bow up, the tow rope gets caught in a sticker bush and I end up with a thorn in my thumb!

OK, not that I'm settled and I think I'm ready to hunt, my back starts aching. I've been dealing with some back issues lately and climbing that tree with a broken tree stand didn't help....

60 minutes later I said screw it and left. The snow was REALLY coming down and I just didn't have the desire to be there (dang I'm going soft). So, that's probably gonna be it for the rest of the season because I can't afford a new climber. It's cool though. I need to focus on school and ski season opened today.

Ricer2231

Daggone man that sounds horrible. Not to mention driving in that mess to get where ya needed to be. I think it's great that ya gave it a shot though, ya definitely won't kill them setting in the cab of the truck. Sorry to here about your bad morning though and especially your back. I hope ya get to feeling better.