Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spot hogg vs Stan

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Ok guys let me hear your opinions to help me spend my Christmas money. Stan SX2 quattro or the Spot-hogg Whipper Snapper 4 finger closed? Any one shot both with helpful feedback?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Most prefer a three finger. A lot buy a four finger and hang the pinky off.

I preferred my Carter Chocolate Addiction over the Stan SX2 I had.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm a Stan guy. How big are your hands? I shoot a 4 finger because I want a handful of release on the draw. With XXL hands, the Stan Shootoff Quattro feels perfect to me. My best advice is fondle as many releases as you can and try to shoot the 2-3 that feel best, side by side.

I think you'll be happy with either of the ones you listed.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I also shoot a Stan Shootoff Quattro. Right now I'm using all four fingers on it, but when shooting a lot over the summer I sometimes find myself hanging my pinky out in the air. I think I could easily make the transition to a 3-finger, but like Jesse said I do like having a "handful" of the release in hunting situations.

I've not heard any bad reviews on the Spot Hogg release, and the Stan SX2 is also a good one. Just try to get your hands on both and see which is most comfortable. Don't rule out a Stan Shootoff or any of the Carter releases either. Also, TruBall makes a good handle-release... I forget the model info... Kaiser shoots one for 3D and really likes it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
If I were to do it all over again, I would pay more attention to the sweep in the release, and would have also shot a three finger. The biggest thing I can tell you is to shoot the ones you are interested in. IMO, a release feels completely different when you are holding it and playing with it than it does once you hook it on a string and draw a bow. Everyone applies pressure to a release differently, and for me the Shootoff has more sweep to it than I would like in a four finger release. I hardly apply any pressure with my pinky. I shot Adam's three finger Shootoff at the Strouds Run hunt, and must say I felt much more comfortable shooting it than I did my own.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I were to do it all over again, I would pay more attention to the sweep in the release, and would have also shot a three finger. The biggest thing I can tell you is to shoot the ones you are interested in. IMO, a release feels completely different when you are holding it and playing with it than it does once you hook it on a string and draw a bow. Everyone applies pressure to a release differently, and for the the Shootoff has more sweep to it than I would like in a four finger release. I hardly apply any pressure with my pinky. I shot Adam's three finger Shootoff at the Strouds Run hunt, and must say I felt much more comfortable shooting it than I did my own.

Great advice right here. I couldn't agree more...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Great advice right here. I couldn't agree more...

I agree also.

The reason I don't like a four finger is because when shooting a thumb trigger with back tension the pinky shouldn't be doing anything anyway (the way I do it). I try to shoot a thumb trigger the same as a hinge. I let the rotation of the release set it off... If I use one with the pinky that accelerates the shot TOO much as the pinky has more leverage (further outside). I would shoot just two fingers but then I get sore hands if I shoot a lot. I generally control my release with my index and middle finger.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree also.

The reason I don't like a four finger is because when shooting a thumb trigger with back tension the pinky shouldn't be doing anything anyway (the way I do it). I try to shoot a thumb trigger the same as a hinge. I let the rotation of the release set it off... If I use one with the pinky that accelerates the shot TOO much as the pinky has more leverage (further outside). I would shoot just two fingers but then I get sore hands if I shoot a lot. I generally control my release with my index and middle finger.

That seems to be why I tend to let my pinky get "lost in space" when I'm shooting a lot. More shooting for me generally results in better form and better surprise releases, so I start to "forget" that my pinky is even there. I find that I get a better release when I'm putting most pressure on my first couple fingers. However, a surprise release doesn't usually happen (for me) when I'm in a hunting situation, so the pinky tends to play a bigger role... i.e. more fingers on the release equates to less chance of the release flying out of my hand if I'm nervous! lmao

I much prefer the infinite thumb adjustment feature on the Stan's(and HotShots) vs the Spott Hogg mostly fixed thumb barrel...I feel these adjustments are very important to making the release fit you.... I liked these features when I shot hand held releases..I switch back an forth and currently shoot wrist straps(Hotshot brand) AGAIN