Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bunny hunts

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I went out for our first rabbit hunt of the year. We decided not to get too carried away shooting them. I didn't want to mess with a bunch of dead rabbits, figured we would just kill one for dinner and let the dogs chase any others. We were out maybe a half hour before the dogs found the first one. They made a great chase, and Mason killed him on the first pass. We hunted maybe another hour or so before finding another, which kept them busy for 15 minutes or so before hitting a hole. They ran two more on pretty much the same route before we pulled 'em off to head home. Nice afternoon to be out.

I deboned the rabbit and fried it up. I gotta say, it was some of the best I've ever had! Good grief that thing was good! Had a nice salad with it...felt like I should have been on Top Chef! :)

One rabbit killed, four ran.

Attachments

• Madison-20121227-00584.jpg
    Madison-20121227-00584.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Madison-20121227-00585.jpg
    Madison-20121227-00585.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 124

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hearing them this afternoon kinda gave me the fever too. I think we are going to go in the morning. Probably head up to the Fayette Co property as I need to look around a little anyway. Can't wait to cut the dogs loose again!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Well done Brock & Mason!

Brock, do you just season, flour and fry? I am getting tired of my crock pot recipes. I'm looking for a different way to fix em.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well done Brock & Mason!

Brock, do you just season, flour and fry? I am getting tired of my crock pot recipes. I'm looking for a different way to fix em.

Yes. I debone them before frying. Season with whatever you like, bread them after an egg wash and fry it. It was awesome, but part of that may have been due to it being the first batch of the year! :).

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Went on my first bunny hunt with a buddy today. We only saw two and didn't get either.