Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shoulder Carry?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shoulder carry wouldn't be bad during colder weather months but what about spring/summer and early fall.... You would think it would stick out like a sore thumb......

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Not a fan. I have tried a couple shoulder rigs and the work for throwing on under a coat but sucks when you get somewhere and it starts to warm up.

My Dad shoulder carries most of the time under a button up. He hides his well but it is a small gun. It is the second slowest place (in terms of draw if under a shirt) to carry ahead of ankle carry.

IWB
OWB
Pocket

These above are more natural, faster and convienent. The only time I prefer shoulder is when riding motorcycles or quads.

I used to shoulder carry my sig p229 and later a glock 26 a lot. I wear a t-shirt and a flannel shirt on top pretty often. So the holster and gun go between the two shirts. here in Washington state it might get in the 90's for a week or so.
Pros
no matter if you bend over or do jumping jacks in public your gun probably wont be seen. If you are new to conceal carry this might be a big comfort factor.

If you are wearing a flannel shirt or jacket the gun wont be very noticeable to other people.

You dont have to worry about what you put in your pockets or what pants and belt your going to wear that day.

Your firearm is more protected from someone trying to grab it from you due to its position on your body and orientation.

cons
slow to draw from

the draw stroke is more complex. Its really easy to flag yourself and other people with the muzzle as you are drawing.

depending on what shirt you are wearing you might need two hands to draw.