Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hammerless Revolvers

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
OK, I will be the first smartass, they don't have an exposed hammer.

Ok, then what is it called? On my .357 I have to use my thumb to cock it before firing. Supposedly, I don't have to do that, but I can't pull the trigger without first cocking it back with my thumb.

images.jpg images-1.jpg

I want to know "whatever" I need to know about the revolver that doesn't have that "thingy"? Sound better?

I want my conceal carry and I want a .38 and I need to know pros/cons of this.

Thanks!

Big H

Medina
I think the easiest way to describe it is that a hammerless revolver will be pure double action. A revolver with an exposed hammer can typically be both a single action (you cock the hammer back manually) or double action (squeezing the trigger both cocks the hammer and rotates the cylinder). Pros of the hammerless in my opinion would be you would not have the exposed hammer to catch on your clothing, and a consistent trigger pull, albiet a little harder than your trigger pull once you have cocked an exposed hammer model. Make sense? If you are saying can't use the double action style due to hand strength, I am not sure what the answer would be? Possibly going to a gunsmith and having trigger work done or find a weapon that you can squeeze the trigger. There are many here with more knowledge on this subject than me though.

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I think the easiest way to describe it is that a hammerless revolver will be pure double action. A revolver with an exposed hammer can typically be both a single action (you cock the hammer back manually) or double action (squeezing the trigger both cocks the hammer and rotates the cylinder). Pros of the hammerless in my opinion would be you would not have the exposed hammer to catch on your clothing, and a consistent trigger pull, albiet a little harder than your trigger pull once you have cocked an exposed hammer model. Make sense?

I guess that is what I'm afraid of....that I won't be strong enough to pull it back if I go with hammerless. My .357 is suppose to be a double action, but I'm not strong enough to use it that way. (At least not with any type of accuracy at all!)
But since I plan to carry it in my purse, the non-snagging is probably a good idea, so I don't have a clue which one to get.

Big H

Medina
Sounds like a good excuse to go shopping and find one you can squeeze. You may find that due to the larger frame of your .357 it is harder to utilize the double action than it would be with a smaller framed weapon. Sounds like you are probaly a smaller woman or just have small hands? Not saying that is a bad thing... Maybe go with a semi auto instead..

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Sounds like a good excuse to go shopping and find one you can squeeze. You may find that due to the larger frame of your .357 it is harder to utilize the double action than it would be with a smaller framed weapon. Sounds like you are probaly a smaller woman or just have small hands? Not saying that is a bad thing... Maybe go with a semi auto instead..

I am small and have small hands. But I don't trust the semi's. I had a .22 in the past (Ruger) and it jammed on occasion. My Ruger revolver NEVER jams and I trust it.

Ok, so next stupid question. I know you can't dry-fire a crossbow, so I'm assuming you can't dry-fire a gun. Or can you? Guess I'm wondering how I shop for one if I need to actually fire it to see if I can.

Yes, everyone may laugh at my stupidity....go ahead, I know you want to! :smiley_crocodile:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Diane, why not just go with a semi-auto pistol instead? they make some small framed that would work well for you..... My wife shoots the Bersa Thunder in a .380 and has no problems with it although she complains about breaking nails loading the clips..... :smiley_depressive:

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
The biggest advantage is that they can be shot from your pocket or purse without fear of something getting in front of the hammer and keeping the gun from firing. These are a VERY good choice for a self defense weapon.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
J, I'll be honest with you, I'm kinda afraid of them. I trust my life on the revolver I own, not so much on a semi.

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
If you're going to use a semi-auto make sure to familiarize yourself with clearing the gun if it jams. High quality guns with high quality ammo don't jam often but a bad situation is not the time to try and learn.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Right. I've had them jam and if I have to pull a gun (which I have before) I want to absolutely know without a doubt that it is going to fire.

I trust revolvers and to me, the trust is half the battle.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
The biggest advantage is that they can be shot from your pocket or purse without fear of something getting in front of the hammer and keeping the gun from firing.

I never even thought about that. Very good point.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Right. I've had them jam and if I have to pull a gun (which I have before) I want to absolutely know without a doubt that it is going to fire.

I trust revolvers and to me, the trust is half the battle.

Understood..... :smiley_coolpeace: I haven't had lots of experience with handguns but have shot both and feel more comfortable with the semis up to this point, but if I needed it and it let me down I'd be switching in a heartbeat as well.... I would make the assumption that a gunsmith would be able to rework the trigger and spring too make it lighter on the pull…..

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Diane what kind of revolver is your .357?

Most hammerless have the same pull weight as their DA/SA brethran but the only option is now DA. I would go to your closest fun shop and dry fire as many as possible and see. Ones that should tickle your fancy are:

Smith and Wesson J frames (or any other snubby framed Smiths)
Ruger SP101
Ruger LCR
Colt Detective Specials

All have good trigger pulls but are easilly manipulated to fit your taste for not too much coin. Fluff and buff/spring kit on the Ruger should be less than $100 easily.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Diane what kind of revolver is your .357?

It's a Ruger. Suppose to be double-action and has a 6 inch barrel. I've often wondered if it is the weight that makes it impossible for me to use it w/o first cocking it.

I would go to your closest fun shop and dry fire as many as possible and see.

Hmm, so I can do that? Buckeye Outdoors is close to us.

Huckleberry Finn

Buncha smart dudes...damn...just love this sight.

Good luck xbowgirl! Ain't nothing wrong with sticking with something if it's not broke...I have only shot 2 revolvers in my life and loved it, but hated 'watching' the hammer...threw me off. Hamerless sounds good!