Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hopefully....

runhunter

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on... just put a call in to my girlfriend's uncle, and I'm 90% sure I'm heading back out to my girlfriend's family farm for M/L season next weekend. It looks like it's going to be cold enough, and that's my main concern. Cold enough to get em on their feet and force them to feed in daylight.
I was out for a week during bow season, but didn't see a shooter, so this tag is still burning a hole in my pocket. I think they have cover crops planted, maybe winter wheat, who knows, that's why I called. I know they get pounded out there gun season, so it may be tough hunting unless I can find a hot food source or a great travel route to and from. Once I talk to her uncle, and find out what he's been seeing on the farm, when, and what's planted, I'll make my decision.

I had a shooter 10 on camera in August, and a couple 8's in the 20's, but I'm not sure if the big one is still around. If conditions are right, it seems like it could be a great time to head out and kill a good one. Has anyone noticed any early shedding? This will be my first late season hunt in OH... anything you guys can offer would be appreciated.

runhunter

You're right Badger, I guess after 3-4 months of pressure, you need a lot of things to go right. All I can do is put my A in the seat, spend 2 1/2 days out there, and execute if I get an opportunity. Either way, it beats being at work...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds to me like you've got a good plan. Pay extra attention what info the landowner(farmer-uncle) offers you as far as the heavily occupied areas he has noticed lately. Go in and setup up accordingly as quiet and unnoticibly as you can and hunt your ass off. Find a tree or blind set just inside the wooded edge that offers great vantage points and shooting opportunities and you should be set. Dress warm and try making it an all dayer if you can. If you can, drop several 50lb piles of whole ear corn in several locations within 125 yards of your set and you should increase your odds.

Good luck!

runhunter

Thanks F/S, yea hopefully I talk to him this weekend so I can find out a little about what he's been seeing, when, where etc. I'll bring some corn, but not sure how effective it will be. I won't be able to get there til about 11am on Saturday. Basically gives me 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 days to hunt. The 10 day shows high's in the mid 30's and lows in 20's, so that should be enough to get em up. Ain't over til it's over is right. Nothing like a spur of the moment trip.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just listening to the landowner will help you get a good jump on your time. Little to no tramping around boogering the area up. If the deer are already there, they will find your pile in short order. Just make sure your pile is no where near where your entry or exit will be and is inside your comfort killing zone. You should have as good a chance as anybody. Good luck