Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Christmas Spirit of an 8yr old and life lessons on guinea pigs

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This year my wife and I have felt very blessed. We decided to adopt a family to share our blessings. Erin has a friend down on her luck. Good person. We talked to the kids about it and they were excited. Sunday after church we sat down to eat lunch and said "Today is the day!" My son asked if he could give some of his money to help and we said "sure."

My son leaves the dinner table, goes to his room, comes back, and lays down a wad of money. Now realize here, this little man had been saving all summer to buy a guinea pig. My wife said "Garrett, you don't have to give all your money. Are you sure you want to give this to her? How much is there?" Garrett said "Fifty dollars Mommy. If it would help her, I will give her all my money." My wife and I looked at each other tearing up. Erin because she was so proud, and me because for a moment I was afraid I might be raising a liberal. After talking about it a bit, Garrett was blue but steadfast in his decision to help this family. He told my wife "Christmas is about giving Mommy. It isn't about getting." We couldn't be more proud and allowed it.

Today we had Christmas at my parents. My Dad told a story about an exemplary act of a young man. Upon finishing, he said this young man was very generous and it had been noticed by Santa. You see, Santa had dropped off an early Christmas present at MawMaw and PawPaw's house for Garrett. Next, PawPaw and Uncle Randy carried out a cage with a guinea pig in it. Talk about a beaming young man!

The grandkids were all excited and the guinea pig was soon named Darwin. Darwin was handled by all and Garrett was one happy little man. We had to leave for a gathering for Erin's family so we stopped at home to grab another batch of presents and put Darwin in Garrett's room.

Fast forward past another round of family gathering and stuffing our faces and it was time to head home again. The kids had it planned. They had 30min to play with Darwin and 15min to change and prepare for the Christmas Service at church. Upon unlocking the door, the kids rushed in while I carried presents in from the vehicle. Much to my dismay I hear nothing but commotion and crying. I set the gifts down to see what is wrong. I walk to Garrett's room to see a guinea pig cage overturned, and cedar chip bedding all over the room. Izzy the Beagle was still in her kennel but Brutus the Boxer was standing by the door waiting to go out. He knew he was in trouble. Garrett was on his bed crying and I kneeled down in front of him in efforts to console him and hug him. I said "No wait a minute. We haven't found Darwin yet. Maybe he is running around the house and not dead. Pull yourself together, we will gather up everyone and look for him." Well, let's just say the search didn't take long. I was still hugging Garrett when he said "I just found him. He is right there." I turned around to find poor Darwin covered in slime and slobber. This special Christmas present just turned into the worst Christmas ever for my 8yr old son. I took him into the living room and shut his bedroom door. I asked him how he would like to handle it. "Garrett. We have to clean this up and get to church. Would you like Daddy to take care of it, or do you want to fire up the backhoe tomorrow and have a burial?" He sobbed, "Just take care of it Daddy."

Now I wish this story could have had a happy ending like the frog story, but sometimes life just doesn't work this way. Not sure there are any lessons about life and death here outside of the fact that animals are animals. Dogs can be territorial and even though Brutus isn't a vicious dog (other than delivery people whom he despises) he did what dogs do sometimes. Garrett is just plain heart broken. I must say though, he pulled it together in time to read his part in the Christmas Service which makes us more proud of him. He was truly a wreck even as we were walking into the church. Poor kid is sensitive. Our daughter, however, has also caught the spirit of giving. She is adamant she will be buying Garrett another guinea pig when the pet stores open after Christmas. She said "I want to buy him one with my own money." One more story of giving we were blessed with is one of Erin's friends. She was so moved by our helping this family, she herself went out and bought for another needy family member of hers. It feels good to know our generosity was contagious this Christmas season. Hopefully this is the lesson remembered by our children, rather than the lessons of life and death of a guinea pig.

I hope you all have enjoyed your Christmas and are blessed with many moments of the Christmas "magic".

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I am Very Sorry to even hear such a thing. Prayer's truely go out to all involved. I know life is life......But sure sucks when it's your turn! Good Luck Phil.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
This is the craziest story I've read in a long time. Phil, I am glad you document your life on here... It's like watching a man soap opera. But you are one good dude... Mad respect for you and Erin. I have been trying to not find this story kinda funny but I'm having a hard time.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Man I hated too see that happen too Garrett ..... but the way he handled himself and the way your little girl stepped up say volumes of their upbringing Phil .... you and Erin are top notch parents and I congratulate you both on that.....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Wow, just wow.

If it helps your son, we had guinea pigs for several years. One day we came home and my oldest daughter immediately started screaming the second we walked through the door. When I got into the house, I saw our guinea pig laying there dead (wet and slobbered) and couldn't figure it out since our dogs are so gentle.

Fast forward a year, and into the kitchen walks one of my Goldens with another guinea pig in her mouth. Except she was carrying it really gentle, like a newborn pup. She gave the guinea pig to me and it appeared to be fine (other than some slobbers). About an hour later, it died of shock. This Golden was an exceptional Momma dog and guinea pigs are known to make little squeals, so I believe that both times, she was simply mothering them. It was the shock that killed them.

So, if your guinea pig wasn't mauled, (just slobbered up) you might want to tell Garrett that it was possible that the dog didn't mean to hurt it. I dunno, just throwing a suggestion out here.

It is great of your little girl wanting to replace it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is the craziest story I've read in a long time. Phil, I am glad you document your life on here... It's like watching a man soap opera. But you are one good dude... Mad respect for you and Erin. I have been trying to not find this story kinda funny but I'm having a hard time.

I knew there would be a mix of "aww, that is so terrible" to "bahahahahah". Quite honestly, my initial reaction was of terrible feelings of sorrow for Garrett. As I was cleaning it up in such a hurry to get to church services, I couldn't help but laugh at the situation. Then I felt guilty for laughing.

For what it is worth, Garrett seems to be fine with it today. Hasn't mentioned it a bit. Hopefully, the wonderful Christmas morning has overshadowed last night's ordeal.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Making memories... Many year down the road you guys will be able to sit down and say "remember that one Christmas when Garrett got a Guinea Pig?"

Hope everybody is doing better Phil. No doubt that was a traumatic moment for all the little ones.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
You must be proud of that young man. Christmas is the time for giving, great life lesson. Sounds as though you and your wife are doing a great job in raising your children! God has blessed you!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
THe day has ended and Garrett seemed to do okay with it all. I sighed a bit in relief until my wife just pointed out he will NOT sleep in his room. Apparently he made a "nest" in his sister's room on the floor. lmao

I think it will blow over in a day or two. I appreciate all the kind words from you all. I don't know that I deserve them all. We are just doing what we can. I don't think we are parenting much different than anyone else. We make our mistakes too. Just part of life. To be honest, I felt guilty when Garrett dished out the $50. Erin and I decided to each give $100 when he showed up with $50. Then again, he doesn't have to make a house payment in a week, buy groceries, keep the lights on, or cover any of the other expenses we do. Proportionally, he is able to give a higher percentage of his money away. lmao

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I would have to say the lil' fella has earned a deer with the crossbow Dad. (I'm still on his side):smiley_clap:

I am glad to hear all is getting better already.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Looks like Garrett is going to be a man of character, just like his father. :smiley_coolpeace:

And I don't think you have to worry about him becoming a liberal. That boy's gonna be just fine.

Buckmaster

Portage
Good story there Phil.

My 4 year old boy handed me a $5 bill from his piggy bank the other day. I asked, "What's this for?"

He replied, "I love you."

I said, "You keep that and I love you TOO."

Kids are the best.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For all those that chimed in, many thanks. For Garrett, we now have "Rosalina". We introduced her to Brutus. We put her cage up higher. He (Brutus) hasn't seemed the least bit interested in her. I think rushing home, stuffing "Darwin's" cage in Garrett's room and heading back out the door to another Christmas gathering was a bad move. We basically dropped off a new animal to the house and left. Unfortunately, someone didn't mention this to Brutus and apparently we didn't get Garrett's bedroom door latched. Brutus smelled an animal, and probably heard him making his guinea pig noises. Seems he was just doing what animals do sometimes: Guarding his turf.

Well, Rosalina is doing well. Brutus is fine. Garrett you ask? I think Garrett was the one who made out in this deal. His generosity did not go unnoticed. Santa brought him a cage and Darwin. When Darwin was murdered, one of our fellow TOOzers took it upon their self to return Garrett's generosity. I won't mention any names, but I will say the check and letter which came in the mail to Garrett truly made his day! My wife still cannot comprehend how my "online hunting buddies" can be so involved in each others lives when we live so far apart. She doesn't realize the bond the outdoor world has. On this website, that bond is strong. Many thanks go to our friend that felt so compelled to send Garrett a check to replace Darwin. Since he already had a cage and food supply, Garrett thinks he should spend his newfound money on multiple guinea pigs. He now wants a whole freaking guinea pig colony! Since he found out the pet store pays $5 for babies, I might be in trouble. My little man is catching the entrepreneurial spirit of his father and thinks he is going to start a guinea pig farm. lmao

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
That's great, Phil!

Just a few words to the wise in case he does get more. 2 males will fight once they become sexually mature. Never have 2 males unless they are housed separately and never put together.

Females can live together, but if they are not bred before they are 1 year old, they will die in labor, so either breed them or don't. It isn't a wait to decide type of thing.

The male can live with females and won't harm the babies, but as soon as she gives birth, she is fertile right then. I learned that one the hard way and got an extra litter I wasn't planning on!

I'm tickled too death for Garrett!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great to know Diane. Thank you very much. Looks like we might have to get a second cage once this all takes place. Oh boy.