Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Birds are flyin here in central...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well where is everyone at? Birds sure are on their wings today with this rain..saw a few hundo geese and a few black ducks mixed in so far. Muh pup was in on her first goose kill and bit ago...she dis not pick them uo but she was all about them abd even tried to pick one up. Pretty pleased.

Derek j

Knox Co.
You hunting fields? I'm taking the wife and boat to alum creek tomorrow morning for what hopefully will be an annual Christmas morning duck hunt. Haven't seen many ducks in Knox county yet.....but the geese are plentiful as usual.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You hunting fields? I'm taking the wife and boat to alum creek tomorrow morning for what hopefully will be an annual Christmas morning duck hunt. Haven't seen many ducks in Knox county yet.....but the geese are plentiful as usual.

Nope i was out for a walk with my lab and my nephew. They flew low and slow...now they missin a couple of their buddies: ducks are in secluded creeks.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I had my hands over her ears for the most part...she didnt cower but was more confused...she went right after the birds but these were bug ass geese and were about her size. She was trying to figure them out. The wings scared her most. She is 40 pounds right now. Very intelligent dog..she is a retrieving lunatic..

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Carpn got into some ducks tonight up this way. I expect you southern boys will be seeing more and more in the coming days... Snow and bitter cold are in the forecast up here... Lake Erie marshes are locking up quick.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Good to hear! Planning on getting out this weekend on the river since most of the small water is locked up. Birds didnt want to work yesterday, had about 25-30 ducks in small batchs and 8-9 geese skirt us. Dont know what their problem was but im ready to KILL!!!!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Me and a buddy got 6 mallards and a black this evening hunting a ditch . A lot less ducks around but there are fewer areas for em to be .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How did she do with the gun fire?

I remember when I posted a picture on OS over 5 years ago of Remi laying between my feet while I was shooting trap. Some guys CHEWED my ass for having him that close to gun shots at 8 weeks old. I was shooting my 22-250 and 9mm this weekend with him sitting down 5-6 feet away and he doesn't even flinch. The dog is immune to gun fire! The first round I shot with my 9, he took off like he was going to retrieve something. So much for ruining him on gun fire!!!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I dont mind my dog being close but I dont like shooting over their head. I know some guys lay in their layout blinds with the dog between their legs and bust birds..... which is fine but a high risk of an accident imo. Ive seen dogs jump early and heard of them getting half their head blown off from getting too excited. My biggest fear would be making the dog def. 5-10' away sitting or in a mutt hutt is PERFECTLY fine in my eyes. (not that it matters lol)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I remember when I posted a picture on OS over 5 years ago of Remi laying between my feet while I was shooting trap. Some guys CHEWED my ass for having him that close to gun shots at 8 weeks old. I was shooting my 22-250 and 9mm this weekend with him sitting down 5-6 feet away and he doesn't even flinch. The dog is immune to gun fire! The first round I shot with my 9, he took off like he was going to retrieve something. So much for ruining him on gun fire!!!

I'm sure guys were just concerned, man. That situation usually goes one of two ways... either the dog doesn't mind right off the bat and never will, or you make him gunshy right off the bat and ruin him. Start them that close that young and you might as well just flip a coin... heads they're ok, tails they're gunshy. It's always best to play it safe and start off from a distance, then gradually work closer to the pup.

I dont mind my dog being close but I dont like shooting over their head. I know some guys lay in their layout blinds with the dog between their legs and bust birds..... which is fine but a high risk of an accident imo. Ive seen dogs jump early and heard of them getting half their head blown off from getting too excited. My biggest fear would be making the dog def. 5-10' away sitting or in a mutt hutt is PERFECTLY fine in my eyes. (not that it matters lol)

I know exactly what you mean. I know guys that do the same thing, and it drives me nuts. If you've duck hunted long enough, you've been in a situation once or twice where your buddy swings the barrel a little too close or over your head and he rings the shit out of your ears. Sit a dog between your legs and shoot over their head... you're doing the exact same thing to the dog. It's funny... Guys do this and then wonder why their dogs can't hear shit at 3 or 4 years old.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm sure guys were just concerned, man. That situation usually goes one of two ways... either the dog doesn't mind right off the bat and never will, or you make him gunshy right off the bat and ruin him. Start them that close that young and you might as well just flip a coin... heads they're ok, tails they're gunshy. It's always best to play it safe and start off from a distance, then gradually work closer to the pup.

I hear what you are saying, but this was the typical jump a guys shit without knowing the story BS that went/goes on over there all the time. He got up from where he was laying most of the afternoon and came over to lay down under my feet, so I didn't think anything of it. We had been shooting for a couple of hours and he was obviously fine with all the commotion...

Mao

Coshocton, OH
We have been seeing a lot of birds on the river. I have been out floating the Muskingum, Tusc and Walhounding since the day after Christmas. We have killed between 3-11 ducks each time out. Shooting almost all mallards. Hoping for an odd ball soon. My cousin missed a shoveler yesterday. It has been a fun Christmas break.