Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 2012 buck

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
I'm a little slow at getting this on here. I killed this buck on the Sat of the regular gun season. Usually I tag out by the rut at the latest but I just wasn't seeing any bucks the caliber I was willing to shoot. I let several what i call nice bucks walk (130ish) and only saw one definate shooter with a bow in hand but was never given an opportunity at him. I hunted more this year than I ever had from Halloween up until gun season thanks to my wife having a surgery and being able to stay home with the baby lol. I was getting pretty frustrated to say the least. The season began looking up during gun week and I had seen several bucks through the week and a guy we hunt with killed a 140's 14pt on the Thursday of that week so we were pretty pumped. I hunted with a small group in the morning on Saturday with plans to get together and hunt with a large group of guys in the late morning and until the end of the day.
Shortly after shooting light we got together at our first spot to put on a small drive. I ended up being the lucky stander for this driver. Here's where the luck comes in. I was walking back an old gas well rd and still hunting along the way knowing that it was going to take at least a half an hr for the guys to get to me. I saw one small buck and two does down in a creek bottom about a 150 yds away and somehow made it past them without them knowing I was there. Then I heard what I thought was a squirrel taking off to my left. I realized that it wasn't a squirrel and it was a deer but I couldn't see it right away. I finally got a glimpse of it running off a big hill and down into a thick draw to cross a the creek. I still didn't know that it was a buck at first. Finally he got into a small opening and I saw what I thought was a pretty good buck I just knew that he was pretty tall and made a split second decision that I was gonna shoot him. He never did stop moving and I finally had a small clearing in the path he was taking. I knew that it was a long shot but felt pretty confident. I led him a little with my scope and touched off the shot. The buck buckled and bulldozed through the bruch for about 30yds and never moved again. I was in shock and was like holy crap I hit that thing. I never went to look for him until my father and grandfather in law finished the drive. It was the first time a deer actually got bigger the closer I got. Turns out my shot was between 200-215 yds, not too bad for a slug gun ha.
Suprisingly the day got better from there. I went and bought another tag so we could meet up with the rest of the guys and hunt. Now that I was on driving duty we were pretty excited cuz the property we were going to hunt only gets touched one time a year. Last year there were two wall hangers taken off of it so we had high hopes. We put the first drive on and killed two does and a nice 9pt. We got back together and switched out drivers and standers and began another drive. On this one a buddy killed the biggest 7pt any of us ever saw, probaly gross 135-140. Another guy killed a doe and my father in law killed a nice 10 pt on the same drive. We will probably never have another day like that again the good Lord really blessed us..Between thursday and saturday we killed 5 bucks and all of them were wall hangers. Sorry about the long read but I'm still pretty excited. Never got a chance to put a tape on him but he's my best scoring buck for sure. The pics don't do him any justice, for reference I'm 6'2" 230. 75197_10151305397558395_651951768_n.jpg261553_10151305396288395_1875820180_n.jpg526709_10151305396368395_372940031_n.jpg

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That is a great buck Zach and welcome to the forum! That is one hell of a shit with a slug gun TOO! What were you shooting?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats on taking a very nice buck. Great week of hunting and congrats to the others as well. Thanks for sharing your story. Welcome to TOO!