Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ice Fishing...by the end of the first week of January?

The AccuWeather website is showing a snow storm of 3 to 6 inches for late Tuesday and early Wednesday...here in N.W. Ohio. After this storm passes through the temps are supposed to drop into the 20s for day time highs and teens for night time lows. About a week or so of those temps and we'll be out on the ice catching some fish. :smiley_bril:

I can't wait, as my gear has been in the attic since Feb. of 2011. :smiley_depressive: I've got a few places picked out to hit first, that I didn't get to in 2010.

Anyone else chomping at the bit to hit the ice?

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The hard water fun can't get here fast enough. Good luck and be safe out there all!

You ain't kidding, brother! I'm itching to ice fish like you wouldn't believe! I bet there will be fishable water on small ponds and marinas by this weekend... Best believe I'll be tuning up my ice gear this week! :smiley_bril:

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
If we don't get a lot of snow there should be some fishable ice by Saturday. Snow really slows the ice making process, so if we get what they are calling for, it might be a little longer. I fish the Sandusky Bay and with the wind/rain from last week, I am afraid that water will be a mess. I used to catch a lot of fish in marinas but the last few years have been terrible.

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
The best recipe for ice is cold, clear nights with little to no wind. That will produce good clear ice. The snow will serve as an insulator and slow the ice building process.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The best recipe for ice is cold, clear nights with little to no wind. That will produce good clear ice. The snow will serve as an insulator and slow the ice building process.

Yep. I'm not too crazy about this snow we got today here in Medina County. How's it looking over your way, Eye? I'm going to be near Fremont/Clyde this weekend... hopefully they don't get too much snow between now and then. There are a few marinas that are calling my name! lol