Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Irony?????

Lundy

Wanting to kill less deer now so they will repopulate so we can kill more deer later:)

Some nights I can't sleep and I think about stupid shit

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't want to kill less now to kill more later. I want to kill less now to regrow the herd so there are deer to hunt later. I'll be fine if I never kill more than 3 deer in a season, but I want a herd that could sustain such harvest limits. This is not about getting more so we can kill more later. It is about getting more to create more enjoyable hunting in the future...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I don't want to kill less now to kill more later. I want to kill less now to regrow the herd so there are deer to hunt later. I'll be fine if I never kill more than 3 deer in a season, but I want a herd that could sustain such harvest limits. This is not about getting more so we can kill more later. It is about getting more to create more enjoyable hunting in the future...

GD Jesse, do you have to beat us all to the punch on all the good threads! hahaha Well said tho!

Big H

Medina
The spokesman for the DOW has been promoting killing more deer especially doe. How many people think he harvested 6 deer this past fall. Anyone?

I haven't killed a doe in two years. I haven't decided if I want to this year or not. At least down at our cabin. We saw quite a few early season, but I know there have been at least 6 killed on the neighboring properties. I may try to shoot an urban doe this year if time allows.

Uncle Odie

The deer herd has too many things working against their existence now days, coyotes, (2 legged and 4 legged in my neighborhood), road kills, poachers, multiple permits, and crop damage permits. I met a guy last summer who sez he killed 160 deer for farmers early last summer, but if you firure how many of the does that were still carrying fawns and the number of fawns that were still nursing on the does he killed, the 160 number would be much higher. i think the should back off the bay limit for a couple years and let nature do her thing. I said it on the other site and i will say it on this one, if things are kept up the way it is at this time, the deer herd will be like it was when i started bowhunting in 72.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great points Butch. Lets not forget to add EHD or other diseases the deer have going against them. Anyone who kills 160 deer whether it be legal or not, doesn't have a conscious bone in their body and if it really is true and the DOW came and collected the deer and data, shame on them as well!

The DOW has no idea how this going to backfire on them when the hunter revenue takes a shit!

Lundy is right though, some hunters have to shoulder the blame. Just because the DOW doles out liberal bag limits it doesn't mean you have to be an accomplice.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Great points Butch. Lets not forget to add EHD or other diseases the deer have going against them. Anyone who kills 160 deer whether it be legal or not, doesn't have a conscious bone in their body and if it really is true and the DOW came and collected the deer and data, shame on them as well!

The DOW has no idea how this going to backfire on them when the hunter revenue takes a shit!

Lundy is right though, some hunters have to shoulder the blame. Just because the DOW doles out liberal bag limits it doesn't mean you have to be an accomplice.

X2 Ric..... I'm still trying to understand a guy on this forum who is complaining about the lack of deer then saying he shot 3 or 4 doe this year??? You are right, we don't have to be accomplices.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's true, on a micro level we can control what we harvest. I don't think it will help much on a grander scale though. Then again, I don't hunt all over the state, so I don't really need to worry about what's going on elsewhere!

Lundy

It's true, on a micro level we can control what we harvest. I don't think it will help much on a grander scale though. Then again, I don't hunt all over the state, so I don't really need to worry about what's going on elsewhere!

I see that as one of the biggest challenges to deer population management. Hunters, many of which don't really care about much of anything beyond killing deer and some about killing as many as they can. Many don't have a clue what the estimated population is or has been, they don't have any knowledge of harvest history increases or declines. They only know that they are pissed that they have to plug their shotgun, or that you can't buy one broadhead at a time, and how many deer they can tag in a year, if they can find them after they shoot them.

Why do we have the program to donate deer for processing for the needy? Is it to help the needy? Is it to allow more deer to be killed knowing you don't have to deal with having it butchered? I dislike the program a bunch. It is a feel good excuse to go out and kill a deer for the thrill of killing a deer. I just don't buy it, to me it is bad shit all wrapped up pretty with a bow to distract from what it really is. AND before anybody jumps on me about the needy, I donate a lot of money and items to the needy each and every year without the state asking me to kill a deer to contribute.

As well meaning as everyone here on this site is about conservation and doing the right things concerning Ohio deer hunting future in the end it comes down to that there is a very small number of hunters concerned enough to even listen much less get involved. I admire the passion that many of you are taking in trying to effect change. However I think for the voice to truely be heard there will have to be a joining of many voices from groups and organizations. Someone or many someones needs to try and unify a message from Ohio Leauge of Sportsman, OBA, etc, etc. Might also gain support from the Ohio State Trappers Association. OSTA (traditional archers), get involvement from the outdoor sites, OGF, OS, The list goes on and on. The only chance is to have a unified voice load enough that those in control must at least listen to concerns.

With all respect, websites that bitch, about a wide array of subjects, are everywhere on the internet and have zero impact on anything anywhere. As well intentioned as the the introduction is of a new website to educate the masses to the percieved wrongs of the ODNR it will have little effect unless there is an organized massive ground game to go with it. I am reminded of the outrage on this site last year and the proposed stampede to all of the ODNR open houses to have the voices heard. I was at at one of the meetings, as I always am, and it was no different that any other open house I had been to previously. You have to start somewhere. I guess a new website is a start.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good points, Lundy.

And I agree wholeheartedly about donating deer. I've never done it. I thought I would donate whatever we killed at Strouds - so I wouldn't have to mess with them. As it turned out, we hauled 'em home and I went to work getting them into the freezer! :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Regarding your points about unifying our voice...this has just become a viable option. In recent years, the herd decline was not even noticed in many areas. I think now it is becoming quite wide-spread, and more people are becoming concerned across the state. Unification is what needs to happen.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Great point Lundy and Brock. If we don't have a collective voice in some measure, we're just a bunch of internet buzz that will fade away once the season ends. I think that is what the DOW is counting on.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great point Lundy and Brock. If we don't have a collective voice in some measure, we're just a bunch of internet buzz that will fade away once the season ends. I think that is what the DOW is counting on.

......but if they saw a booth at the D&T expo with a bunch of pissed off hunters spreading the word and growing to large numbers!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
......but if they saw a booth at the D&T expo with a bunch of pissed off hunters spreading the word and growing to large numbers!

That's a good idea! And if you had a petition to sign to get the bag limits lowered, I'll bet you would get plenty of signatures! That would be collective voices!

Lundy

Sure can't hurt a thing and any attention is better than no attention. Might even force a dialog with the powers in charge

It is a little like preaching to the choir. The hunters that attend the D&T expo are probably the most informed hunters as a rule as compared to the masses. They will be easy to get agreement from but still make up a very small percentage of hunters in Ohio.