Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinion on dog name

Dog name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Alright guys, could use a little help here. I made a brief comment about this in another thread, but this Sat I am flying to Houston, TX to pick out our new pup then driving back to Ohio. I get first pick of the 4 males that are available. I am getting a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. This breed is whats called a versatile hunting dog, meaning they point, retrieve and have excellant tracking capabilities. I will be doing training and testing through NAVHDA, I will be upland bird hunting with him and will also train him to find sheds. I have to come up with a name so the breeder can register it with the AKC and NAVHDA. It has to be Lone Star Griffon______________ (one or two words). Even though I will be using him for what he is breed for I also want to keep the name archery related since that's my first passion. Obviously the words Judo Point have an archery meaning and the "point" relates to his breed. Then Full Draw represents when we as archers are at Full Draw, we are ready to take on what ever is in front of us. Well, when this dog goes to point, he in a way is at Full Draw and ready to take on whats in front of him. Might sound corny...but that's the meaning behind the two. So...help me vote and thanks for your opinion.

Oh btw...this is just his registered name, we will be calling him Cam.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm assuming the breeder is "Lone Star Griffon". Most people will call them a "lone star" dog. Like in the coondog world. There is a whole line of "Insane" dogs. Insane Jane for instance is well known. That bloodline is big, but guys know soon as they see the "insane" in the name where that pups out of. So it wouldn't be a good idea to call him something other than what's on his papers. When talking about him You can leave the Griffon off and call him something like "Lone Star Bill" This identifies your individual dog, as well as his bloodline in one name. Around the house or calling the dog you can just call him Bill. But on banners, trophy's, and in print, he's Lones Star Bill.. I think it would be confusing for people to see you at competitions calling the dog cam when his paper name is something else. Most guys do something like this. Lone Star Judo Point . Then you can call him Judo. In the circle of know and chatter people will call him "Lone star Judo" If you call him something other than what's on the papers people will get confused. They'll say "Man! I hope I don't go against that cam dog", then they'll look at the leader board and say "whose this judo point dog".. I hope that makes sense.. It's like a dog has three names.. First is the breeder.. Middle is the dogs name.. Last is something Identifying him as yours. But they can have multiple in one space.. LIke "Judo Point" as the last.

Lone Star Cam Judo point. Later if you breed him you could require your own name be there.. Judo point - ____ -_____

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm assuming the breeder is "Lone Star Griffon". Most people will call them a "lone star" dog. Like in the coondog world. There is a whole line of "Insane" dogs. Insane Jane for instance is well known. That bloodline is big, but guys know soon as they see the "insane" in the name where that pups out of. So it wouldn't be a good idea to call him something other than what's on his papers. When talking about him You can leave the Griffon off and call him something like "Lone Star Bill" This identifies your individual dog, as well as his bloodline in one name. Around the house or calling the dog you can just call him Bill. But on banners, trophy's, and in print, he's Lones Star Bill.. I think it would be confusing for people to see you at competitions calling the dog cam when his paper name is something else. Most guys do something like this. Lone Star Judo Point . Then you can call him Judo. In the circle of know and chatter people will call him "Lone star Judo" If you call him something other than what's on the papers people will get confused. They'll say "Man! I hope I don't go against that cam dog", then they'll look at the leader board and say "whose this judo point dog"

These were my thoughts as well. That being said, I like the second choice of the two.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
I'm assuming the breeder is "Lone Star Griffon". Most people will call them a "lone star" dog. Like in the coondog world. There is a whole line of "Insane" dogs. Insane Jane for instance is well known. That bloodline is big, but guys know soon as they see the "insane" in the name where that pups out of. So it wouldn't be a good idea to call him something other than what's on his papers. When talking about him You can leave the Griffon off and call him something like "Lone Star Bill" This identifies your individual dog, as well as his bloodline in one name. Around the house or calling the dog you can just call him Bill. But on banners, trophy's, and in print, he's Lones Star Bill.. I think it would be confusing for people to see you at competitions calling the dog cam when his paper name is something else. Most guys do something like this. Lone Star Judo Point . Then you can call him Judo. In the circle of know and chatter people will call him "Lone star Judo" If you call him something other than what's on the papers people will get confused. They'll say "Man! I hope I don't go against that cam dog", then they'll look at the leader board and say "whose this judo point dog".. I hope that makes sense.. It's like a dog has three names.. First is the breeder.. Middle is the dogs name.. Last is something Identifying him as yours. But they can have multiple in one space.. LIke "Judo Point" as the last.

Lone Star Cam Judo point. Later if you breed him you could require your own name be there.. Judo point - ____ -_____

Makes total sense Joe, the "Lone Star Griffon" has to be on there according to the breeder. Then all I was told was to pick one or two words after that...but heck, if I can put three like you suggested I'm all for it. Will have to check with them on that.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Makes total sense Joe, the "Lone Star Griffon" has to be on there according to the breeder. Then all I was told was to pick one or two words after that...but heck, if I can put three like you suggested I'm all for it. Will have to check with them on that.

The limit for the AKC is what you can fit in the boxes on the registration papers. He can only tell you that "Lone Star Griffon" has to be there... And I would ask him why "Griffon" is there.. Breed is already listed on the papers. And people can look at him and tell what he is. Something that long doesn't leave you much room on the paper for the name and your own tag.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
The limit for the AKC is what you can fit in the boxes on the registration papers. He can only tell you that "Lone Star Griffon" has to be there... And I would ask him why "Griffon" is there.. Breed is already listed on the papers. And people can look at him and tell what he is. Something that long doesn't leave you much room on the paper for the name and your own tag.

I think they want the word Griffon on there because that is the breeders name..."Lone Star Griffons". But I understand what your saying, I shot them an email, will see what they say.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio

Breeder just got back with me and said adding three names beyond the three they are requiring shouldn't be an issue. So which is it:

Lone Star Griffon Cams Full Draw

or

Lone Star Griffon Full Draw Cam

Dang...do I have to come up with a new poll...lol

Buckmaster

Portage
FD Dale.

I once caught two coon dogs that made the great escape. I tied them to a tree in my front yard until the owner came looking for them. I asked the owner what their names were upon pickup. He said, "One" and "Two". Now that was original.

Huckleberry Finn

What do you call a dog with no legs?

Doesn't matter, 'cause when you call him, he won't come!!!

Hahahaha...sorry. Friggin confusing. I have heard that you want a two-syllable dog name so that when you're yellin' for 'em in the neighborhood you don't sound like a dumbass...

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Keep us in the loop about how he takes to sheds after you have a bird in his mouth. They say once they taste blood, they won't shed hunt anymore.