Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

updated with gun harvest for this year

Lundy

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Even with an allowance of two extra days and Sunday hunting we just had the worst gun season in over a decade. Nice.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Interesting info.
A question on the Youth Season. Has the state ever broken down the differant types of deer taken? Like does, bucks, and button bucks? I have never found anything.
Frank

Lundy

I have never seen the breakdown for youth but I'm sure it exists somewhere within the ODNR

Lundy

Question for you guys.

If you look at the ratio of tags sold to deer harvested it has staying preety flat for many years up until last year.

Is the change last year due to less deer or the change in the check-in system?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Depends on who you ask.. I bet the DNR would say the check system. Which I will not disagree with to a point. But I will admit it's also likely that it's less deer. I know a couple gun only hunters who ate a tag for gun and that was a first for them.

Lundy

I guess my question is were the fears expressed last year about poachers playing the system by no longer needing to take a deer to a check station leading to more deer being killed and the guys not putting their tags on them but saving them for the next deer?

I think we all agree there are less deer but are less deer being tagged with the new checkin system?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Question for you guys.

If you look at the ratio of tags sold to deer harvested it has staying preety flat for many years up until last year.

Is the change last year due to less deer or the change in the check-in system?

Less deer.

Personally, I think that most of the guys who wouldn't check in (poachers) wouldn't bother buying a tag anyway
just my opinion

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I guess my question is were the fears expressed last year about poachers playing the system by no longer needing to take a deer to a check station leading to more deer being killed and the guys not putting their tags on them but saving them for the next deer?

I think we all agree there are less deer but are less deer being tagged with the new checkin system?

I don't think they're checking any less than before.. But I will say they need to go back to the 8:pm the following day rule and get away from the 24 hour thing. Reason being that 8pm always stuck out in peoples heads. It was a constant number. A memorable deadline. But now time varies based on when you shot the deer. Some guys might forget and remember the next day past the time required. Then they feel it may be better if they just keep their mouth shut.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I don't think they're checking any less than before.. But I will say they need to go back to the 8:pm the following day rule and get away from the 24 hour thing. Reason being that 8pm always stuck out in peoples heads. It was a constant number. A memorable deadline. But now time varies based on when you shot the deer. Some guys might forget and remember the next day past the time required. Then they feel it may be better if they just keep their mouth shut.

Who would forget? ;)

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I don't think the check system is the easiest way to scam the system. The real weak point is printing your own licenses, print multiple copies of your tag. Hunt with one, tag your deer, get it home then go out the next day with another copy.

One reason there might be a drop in % of sucess is guys might have been caught with antlerless tags when gun season rolled around.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
One reason there might be a drop in % of sucess is guys might have been caught with antlerless tags when gun season rolled around.

I know someone who hadn't read the regs and isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer anyhow who bought 6 tags (3 reg and 3 antlerless to use in zone c) on the sunday before gun season and AFTER he paid for them the person who sold them to him said "you know those three are only good through today...." Needless to say he was a little ticked off but stuck with them. I think he only filled one tag maybe two anyways.

Lundy

I think one of the recent articles by the DNR referenced deer hunting in the 80's

Just for fun I looked up a few numbers

1979 - tags sold 193,764, deer killed - 34,874, 1 in every 5.6 tags sold

1989 - tags sold 284,909, deer killed - 91,236, 1 in every 3.1 tags sold

1999 - tags sold 361,125, deer killed - 126,770, 1 in every 2.8 tags sold

2009 - tags sold 624,908, deer killed - 261,260, 1 in every 2.4 tags sold

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think one of the recent articles by the DNR referenced deer hunting in the 80's

Just for fun I looked up a few numbers

1979 - tags sold 193,764, deer killed - 34,874, 1 in every 5.6 tags sold

1989 - tags sold 284,909, deer killed - 91,236, 1 in every 3.1 tags sold

1999 - tags sold 361,125, deer killed - 126,770, 1 in every 2.8 tags sold

2009 - tags sold 624,908, deer killed - 261,260, 1 in every 2.4 tags sold

Man I can't wait to go back to those days! lol.. But I guarantee you some areas are worse today than 1979.. Fayette County killed 16 deer last weekend.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I doubt that Fayette is wose than it was in 79. Back then, EVERYONE went to the hills of SE Ohio to hunt. There were very few deer anywhere else.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
How about 1972 when I got my 1st buck in Ohio
88919 tags sold, 5074 deer killed, ratio of 1 in 17.5 and only 63 counties with hunting.
We just can't go back to those old days of deer hunting.
Frank

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Maurice Rowe owned a large farm here in Highland Co. There have been hundreds (probably) of deer shot off his farm. I've shot a bunch of them there, though in recent years it has slowed way down. They let most anyone that asks hunt. I quit hunting there because there are so few deer now... Maurice shot a really good buck in '58 in Vinton Co. He drove there because he was as likely to find Bigfoot as he was a deer on his own farm back then. Things have changed, and I for one would hate to see them revert back. For a long time, deer hunting was as good right around my house as it was anywhere. Ebb and flow I guess. Really wish we were still at a peak instead of a valley right now.

BTW, when I first started hunting Maurice's farm, I was rabbit hunting. Maurice told me I'd see more deer than rabbits. He was right at the time! It's still a great place to rabbit hunt. :)