Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's already starting

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Next up the lawyers....

Also the teachers union in Californication threatened too remove the 714 million that they have invested with them....

And my days of shopping at Dick's sporting goods may be numbered.....

Statement from DICK’S Sporting Goods
We are extremely saddened by the unspeakable tragedy that occurred last week in Newtown, CT, and our hearts go out to the victims and their families, and to the entire community.

Out of respect for the victims and their families, during this time of national mourning we have removed all guns from sale and from display in our store nearest to Newtown and suspended the sale of modern sporting rifles in all of our stores chainwide.

We continue to extend our deepest sympathies to those affected by this terrible tragedy.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20121218/DA38C0H00.html

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep. But then again maybe it's a good thing. Investment groups like Cerberus have racked up a large share of gun companies and inflated prices. Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS, Marlin are all majority controlled by Cerberus. Get them out from under control of a conglomerate and let the prices fall.. Stocks are way down with Ruger, S&W, and other Manufacturers today. Prior to Obamas election Ruger stock was on average 6-8 bucks a share and was 59 bucks in early December. Today they are at $40 and dropping. Let em fall. It was a Barack Obama induced gun bubble that was bound to burst and got gun makers too big for their panties... Maybe now they will realize a plastic 380 LCP ain't worth 300 bucks.

As for Dicks Sporting goods I was surprised they even sold AR platforms. Hell it wasn't until a couple years ago Bass Pro jumped on the cash cow bandwagon and started selling ARs.. I went in Bass Pro one time looking for a 30 rd mag.. The guy behind the gun counter literally looked at me snotty and said "We don't sell tactical weapons or accessories" Now they have a ton of them.. I asked the guy.. How about that FN five Seven a pistol specifically made to bust a vest.. You mean to tell me people rabbit hunt with that. Blow it out your ass.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Looks like my shopping arena is shrinking.... Oh well let it be.... i'll shop with the guys left standing and give them my money.....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cheaper than Dirt has suspended all firearms sales.

http://www.facebook.com/cheaperthandirt#!/cheaperthandirt

OK.. Now that sucks.

Cheaper Than Dirt! is suspending online sales of firearms effective immediately. We are reviewing our policy internally, and will continue to be the leader in the outdoor industry with our full line of gear and accessories.

Doesn't say anything about guns.. And they raised the price of their mags to 60 bucks. nuts.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Wal-Mart pulled Bushmaster and I assume all others. Apparently the AR that the shooters mother owned came from Wal-Mart and they are being labeled as contributing to the massacre, hence the reason they pulled them...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wal-Mart pulled Bushmaster and I assume all others. Apparently the AR that the shooters mother owned came from Wal-Mart and they are being labeled as contributing to the massacre, hence the reason they pulled them...

Dick's made it known that the kid was said too be in the store too buy a gun but one wasn't sold too him according too their sales records, so apparently they don't want soiled by it and pulled the guns off of the shelf in response....

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
OK.. Now that sucks.

Cheaper Than Dirt! is suspending online sales of firearms effective immediately. We are reviewing our policy internally, and will continue to be the leader in the outdoor industry with our full line of gear and accessories.

Doesn't say anything about guns.. And they raised the price of their mags to 60 bucks. nuts.
Nah CTD always price gouged, they jumped their prices after BO was elected the first time and their shipping is waaay expensive.

If you're looking for AR type stuff brownells still has good pricing on pmags and bravocompany still had parts when I was checking earlier.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Man I saw this comming! I hope the Mom and Pop gun shops hang in there and don't fold. A few months a go I bought a Mossberg Tactical .22 just for plinky and having fun with, wonder if those will be gone as well. Bought it at a small local tractor / sporting good store.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One question on this, has anyone seen anything specifically saying that he even used the AR in the killings? I know he was in possesion of one but he also had two handguns as well, could of been the handguns that did the majority of the killing and not the AR......

There's been so much misinformation put out about this who knows what too believe.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
J first reports were he used 2 handguns, but the reports now have been more consistent that it was a rifle, specifically a Bushmaster AR15.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J first reports were he used 2 handguns, but the reports now have been more consistent that it was a rifle, specifically a Bushmaster AR15.

I feel that the information is so back and forth that nobody but the police actually know for sure..... And I haven't heard them say anything one way or another.... But the fallout is levied against the monsterous AR15's.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
And on a related note. Maybe Dicks, Walmart, CTD should like at this info.

Since President Barack Obama took the oath of office on January 20, 2009, the share price of firearms manufacturer Sturm, Ruger & Company has increased more than 700 percent.

At the close of business on the day of Obama's inauguration, the price of Ruger stock (Ticker: RGR) was $5.48 per share. At the end of the trading day on December 17, 2012, the price of the stock closed at $44.00 per share; an increase of 703 percent in less than four years.

But, Ruger isn't the only gun manufacturer that has seen an explosion in its stock value. Smith & Wesson shares (Ticker: SWHC) have increased 253 percent since Obama moved into the White House.

The price of SWHC was $2.45 per share when Obama was sworn in; it closed at $8.65 per share today, December 17, 2012.

When measuring the performance of Ruger's shares to that of the S&P 500, a stock market index based on the share prices of 500 publicly traded companies, the gains made by the firearms manufacturer are astounding.

The S&P 500 Index closed at 805.22 on the day Barack Obama took office. Today, the Index closed at 1,430.36; an increase of 78 percent.

This means that the price of Ruger stock increased more than 9X that of the broader market index.

Sturm, Ruger & Company trades on the New York Stock Exchange and Smith & Wesson trades on the NASDAQ Index.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I feel that the information is so back and forth that nobody but the police actually know for sure..... And I haven't heard them say anything one way or another.... But the fallout is levied against the monsterous AR15's.....

Last I heard, all of the children were killed with the rifle and he killed himself with a handgun, but I appreciate what your saying about the story continuing to change.

Im not surprised. If the big box stores dropped AR's from there inventory for any other reason than a knee jerk reaction to the shooting I probably would be happy. A lot of BX/PX's on military bases started carrying firearms. They actually have a good selection of "tactical" and traditional rifles handguns and shotguns. Their prices on firearms are about a $100+ higher than off base and they use the guise that its tax free as a sales ploy. (Im getting off topic but thats typical of the BX/PX AAFEES ) I usually find the the people that work the counters at big box stores to be annoying, uninformed and not overly helpful, same goes for the BX folks. The only reason why I look at guns at those places is because I'm already in the store.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cerebus has already announced selling of the Freedom Group...

Who owns it? Is this the company owned by George Soros? I believe he is a major share holder in one of the companies which has been buying up many firearms manufacturers. This is scary in itself.

Cerebus has already announced selling of the Freedom Group...

This is a big one. Ceburius is a privite equitily firm that owns freedom group. Freedom Group is a holding company that owns marlin bushmaster remington h&R dpms. I actually happy about this one. I would like to see these companies stand on their and control themselves and not be under the control of a holding company.

Who owns it? Is this the company owned by George Soros? I believe he is a major share holder in one of the companies which has been buying up many firearms manufacturers. This is scary in itself.

No. http://www.nraila.org/223471

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Couldn't agree more with your statements Tom about the BX/PX and big box stores....... When I buy from them I have already had my questions answered through research and talking too people I know and trust.... The employees at those places aren't in the know on much of anything, although the Hill AFB guys were pretty on the ball with their knowledge.....

Ceburius caved in to the teachers union threat of pulling that 714 million dollar investment that's what transpired there it's all about the money.....