Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cast Iron Skillets

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Was out in the garage last night cleaning up a little bit and ran across a cast iron skillet that had been neglected after the last use, so I decided to boil it out with water and re season it over my wood burner in the garage. After I got that one done, I had remembered a set that my wife got passed down to her from her grandmother, that used to belong to her great grandmother.

I decided to dig them out of the attic along with my dutch oven and clean and re season all of them. Turned into quite a project but turned out pretty well.

Boiling them out:

As you can see by this "before" picture, a couple of them were in pretty bad shape:

The "after". They cleaned up pretty good and are now nice and seasoned again with oil:

A little wall decoration where they will be stored until their next use:

While we are on the subject, what is everyone's favorite dish to cook in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven??

Buckmaster

Portage
My buddy had one that was so messed up he bead blasted it, then re-seasoned it. It turned out well.

I just packed my set away as I just got a new glass top stove. I miss my gas stove already.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My buddy had one that was so messed up he bead blasted it, then re-seasoned it. It turned out well.

I just packed my set away as I just got a new glass top stove. I miss my gas stove already.

Not supposed to use them with glass stove tops?
Awww crap...... guess i have a new excuse to do more grilling then :) or use my backpacking stoves

I actually like making steak in them. Place one on the stove, let it get blazing freaking hot, drop a pat of butter and then your steak, let it sear, flip and sear and then drop into a hot oven to finish. I do suggest an open window, strong stove vent, or something or else your smoke alarm will also enjoy this recipe.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Guess I'll be using my cast iron on my backpacking stove or on the grill until we move. The glass top is nice just not the same in my opinion.

A steak cooked with butter on cast iron on a backpacking stove after being outside all day is a heavenly meal (after being dry rubbed with montreal steak seasoning the day before and being in a sealed plastic bag since then)