Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Call me an Hippie, Ahole, ETC but.......

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I personally do not see a problem with banning of clips for semi auto weapons that hold more then 10 rounds.

Yesterday on the news they said the shooter was using 30 round clips out of a 223. The fact that he was able to get ahold of that is a whole different debate, but I just do not see a large problem with banning those types of clips/magazines/etc.

Background info:
I am a firm believer in Gun rights, I have my CCW, and carry a XDS 45 on me often.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am served my tenure as a pro-gun advocate, even speaking in front of the House for HB495 while I was the President of the Second Amendment Club at OU. That being said, I have always supported certain bans/restrictions that have no endeared me well to my fellow gun supporters. I see no need for a civilian to have 30 round clips and think 10 is perfectly acceptable. I have always said that if we would willing accept moderate restrictions, we would be less likely to face full on assaults against our weapons. That may be a falsity, but I still believe it maintains some level of truth.

If you need to shoot coyotes, intruders, or zombies, a 10 round clip and bunches of them is plenty of firepower to do so...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
hell why limit it to ten...3 should be enough.. if you cant hit them in 3 maybe you shouldn't have a gun.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
whats the difference between a 30 rd clip and 3 10 rd clips it doesnt take long to throw the next one in, i understand what your saying but if theres nobody else around to protect the people somebody could reload as many times as they want.its really a never ending battle, wont be able to protect everyone but i think it might be something too look into for the schools too have military protect the schools or maybe certain teachers have there ccw, but some nut job teacher or military person would flip out and do somethimg stupid too make that a bad thing too.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I personally do not see a problem with banning of clips for semi auto weapons that hold more then 10 rounds.

Yesterday on the news they said the shooter was using 30 round clips out of a 223. The fact that he was able to get ahold of that is a whole different debate, but I just do not see a large problem with banning those types of clips/magazines/etc.

Background info:
I am a firm believer in Gun rights, I have my CCW, and carry a XDS 45 on me often.

Personally I can drop and slam home a new 10 round mag in about 4 seconds. So say someone fires 100 rounds.. Even if they're bad at it and it takes them 10 seconds to reload, going to a 10 rd mag only added a minute forty to the whole ordeal.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Jesse I agree 100 percent,

Milo your analogies do make sense however we are talking about weapons that can be life threatening.

I wish we could all have whatever gun we wanted, all the clips we wanted, etc. However me being a younger man who would love to start a family someday can not imagine what those people in CT are going through. No matter 10 rounds, 3rounds, 100 rounds, people where going to die, but maybe if he didnt have 30 round clips he would not have been able to cause as much destruction so quickly??

My point being, 99.9 percent of us who would have these types of guns would never do a crime, but that .1 percents crimes can do an awful lot of damage. Not sure there is an easy answer, but I think as a country we need to be smart. We do not want them to ban all guns, yet our side is not willing to give up anything? We need to come to a compromise of some sort.

PS. I wanna see you eat a tub of Ice Cream without a spoon, that could be interesting! rotflmao

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Personally I can drop and slam home a new 10 round mag in about 4 seconds. So say someone fires 100 rounds.. Even if they're bad at it and it takes them 10 seconds to reload, going to a 10 rd mag only added a minute forty to the whole ordeal.

I agree, but maybe in that small amount of time with nervous high the person will take a bit longer, someone will tackle him, not sure exactly man, but the thought of having someone jam another clip with an additional 30 rounds in seems crazy.

Like you said you can do it so quickly well the ability to shoot 100 rounds would be done very quickly with 30 round clips.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Police Dispatcher the morning of Sandy Hook..
"All units, the individual that I have on the phone is continuing to hear what he believes to be gunfire. Units are responding to Sandy Hook School at this time. The shooting appears to have stopped. The school is in lockdown."

First call was at 9:30 and law enforcement arrived at what they say was "about "9:40". But they still needed to enter the building.. It was over and the gunman dead before they even got there. Three 10 rd mags or one 30 round mag wouldn't have changed a thing. He had 10+ minutes to do what he wanted. Doing two reloads would have only taken maybe 10 seconds total.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Not jumping on you at1010, but that's just grasping at straws here...the goal should be to work on eliminating the problem all together, not just trying to minimize it one step at a time....this isn't the same thing as banning 16oz. or larger soft drinks....its way more important than that.

This is very much my point, do you suggest then a total semi auto assault band?

I think small movements can make large differences, I think the last thing this country needs to do is make a HUGE change that will divide us even more.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is very much my point, do you suggest then a total semi auto assault band?

I think small movements can make large differences, I think the last thing this country needs to do is make a HUGE change that will divide us even more.

Small movements are exactly how they erode your rights to nothing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll elaborate a little more on what I said in regards to 10 round clips. I realize you can do just as much damage with 3 10's as you can 1 30. My suggestion is based on outside perspective and the effects that realistically insignificant changes could have on the anti-gun left. We know they are irrational, so while this change would have no real rational effect, it would in the eyes of the left. Hence my willingness to accept certain restrictions that really do not infringe on my rights if it gives the perception that it has indeed done that...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Police Dispatcher the morning of Sandy Hook..

First call was at 9:30 and law enforcement arrived at what they say was "about "9:40". But they still needed to enter the building.. It was over and the gunman dead before they even got there. Three 10 rd mags or one 30 round mag wouldn't have changed a thing. He had 10+ minutes to do what he wanted. Doing two reloads would have only taken maybe 10 seconds total.

He fired atleast 3 rounds into every person. So what if next time the shooter continues into another classroom,he still has another 20 shots brother. I understand what your saying, and I hope you can understand what I am saying.

Maybe when he is jamin another clip in he hears the sirens, and kills himself saving a few more lives.

I am not sure, I honestly would be fine if they made it 5 rounds clips, but I just picked ten as a number. Also carrying more clips, in a situation when adrenilnes high leave a lot more room for error on the shooters part where he can possibly fumble around before being able to jam next clip in.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Small movements are exactly how they erode your rights to nothing.

What do you suggest then, no bans leave everything how it is?

This country will be so divided more then it is already. People around this country gun supporters, and not want to see that SOMETHING is done.

Again I am not genius,but I think that this would be a great move in allowing people to still have assault weapons, and keep the other side happy.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
He fired atleast 3 rounds into every person. So what if next time the shooter continues into another classroom,he still has another 20 shots brother. I understand what your saying, and I hope you can understand what I am saying.

Maybe when he is jamin another clip in he hears the sirens, and kills himself saving a few more lives.

I am not sure, I honestly would be fine if they made it 5 rounds clips, but I just picked ten as a number. Also carrying more clips, in a situation when adrenilnes high leave a lot more room for error on the shooters part where he can possibly fumble around before being able to jam next clip in.

this is exactly what wrong with your entire thought process. THERE IS NO WHAT IF'S TO HOMICIDAL LUNATICS PEOPLE. you try to put rational thoughts into irrational situations.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Thank god he didn't have a knife. They never need reloaded meaning the fatalities may have been higher.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
he can fumble around all he wants getting the clips in if theres nobody there too stop him in anyway, we are gonna have to come up with some sort of security or protection that should be the biggest thing going on right now, its only gonna get worse the people that are nuts see all the attention this is getting and are gonna find away to top the last guy to become the next person everyone is talking about, weather it be with a gun bombs or whatever

at1010

*Supporting Member*
this is exactly what wrong with your entire thought process. THERE IS NO WHAT IF'S TO HOMICIDAL LUNATICS PEOPLE. you try to put rational thoughts into irrational situations.

Where I used ifs/maybes were giving examples of possible situations, has nothing to do with my thought process on the matter.

My point is anything that can SLOW a shooter down could be helpful to our entire society, and still allow our law abiding citizens to have assault weapons if we choose.