Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rabbit Hunting

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Never done it and I'm thinking of trying it. I know where to get the rabbits. Is a 12 ga. overkill and what rounds should I get? Are they still buggy in the winter, fleas and such?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
12 ga is a little over kill but if that's all you got, 5 or 6 shot would be the best, modified choke, and I peal the skin off as soon as I drop them and then gut them afterwards..... Take the feet and head off as well... No critters too get into the game pouch of back too the house.... I carry plastic bags with me too put them in, plus I wear surgical glove while cleaning them.... Poision ivey has a way of finding me all the time...... :smiley_clap: I use the .410 for them, but have used 12, 16 and 20 as well... Just like the .410 these days.....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm going to use this for sure.

Attachments

• DSCF4370.jpg
    DSCF4370.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 169

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's an old Sear's Ranger 12 pump that I restored.

I wonder if that's a JC Higgins with the Sears stamp on it since Sears if I remember right never made any guns, they would just contract with a gun manufacturer such as JC Higgins or others and put the Sears logo on it.... Montgomery Ward did the same....... Nice looking gun by the way..... :smiley_coolpeace:

Flatlander

Darby Creek
If you really want some fun try a T/C 410 pistol. That's what we use when we aren't shooting them with the bows. Truth is, we hunt rabbits with our bows most of the time. It's awesome!

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I always used the 12 because it's all I had. If you have something smaller, I'd go that route. Rabbit hunting is a blast, and I've never even done it over dogs, which I heard is far more fun.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
J....once you shoot a contender for rabbits thats the only gun you will ever use. You will get spoiled from not carrying the weight of the long gun, not having your game all shot up and of course the challenge of hitting em with a single shot pistol. I thought about trying the judge on them but thought the revolver would be much louder. I do shoot a BFR 410 5 shot revolver that does a great job and the cylinder lockup is much tighter than the judge so noise is not bad, but man that thing is heavy. If you want to go cheaper the Rexio 410 is ok as well for around $200. But, my first choice is the Contender!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J....once you shoot a contender for rabbits thats the only gun you will ever use. You will get spoiled from not carrying the weight of the long gun, not having your game all shot up and of course the challenge of hitting em with a single shot pistol. I thought about trying the judge on them but thought the revolver would be much louder. I do shoot a BFR 410 5 shot revolver that does a great job and the cylinder lockup is much tighter than the judge so noise is not bad, but man that thing is heavy. If you want to go cheaper the Rexio 410 is ok as well for around $200. But, my first choice is the Contender!

I watched a video on youtube about a rabbit hunt using a contender.... I was impressed and said I'd be doing that some day..... I have the .410 O/U I bought off of COB a couple of years ago and have a Noble .410 pump, but that contender will be in the arsenal by the time I retire...... A buddy has the Judge, but like any gun you get what you pay for......

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This isn'tthe one I saw a while back but is still pretty cool....

[video=youtube;24HmxcGFDLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24HmxcGFDLU[/video]