Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bonus weekend, season down.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Monday, December 17, 2012

Two-day deer gun season kill slips again; end of season in sight?
If you participated in this past weekend’s two-day firearms deer-hunting season and failed to see any animals, you were not alone.

And if you actually saw - and shot - a deer, consider yourself very fortunate.

The kill for this year’s two-day hunt was off 14 percent from the same season in 2011, which itself was down 20 percent from the kill during 2010’s two-day gun hunt.

Statewide, 14,567 deer killed during the just-concluded two-day season. That compares unfavorably with the 16,977 animals shot last year and the 21,376 deer killed during the 2010 two-day season.

As a result, the Wildlife Division is mulling ending the two-day hunt.

In exchange hunters may get a two-day, antlerless-only, muzzle-loading-only season, possibly in early October, state wildlife officials are saying.

The fact Ohio hunters shot 14-percent fewer deer this past weekend versus what they killed in 2011 “really surprises me,” says Mike Tonkovich, the Ohio Division of Wildlife’s deer management administrator.

“I was really expecting to see increases both with this season as well as our seven-day general gun season,” Tonkovich says.

Reasons for the slippage possibly are many, including items out of the control of deer-management officials, also says Tonkovich.

Among them is the weather with another potential thorn being a worse-than-expected die-off of deer caused by EHD.

“Northeast Ohio was been hit hard by EHD, and we’re still getting calls about deer that have died from this,” Tonkovich says. “And Ashtabula County saw it first.”

Likewise, says Tonkovich, “it’s clear to me that there was light hunting pressure.”

However, quickly adds Tonkovich, at the same time the Friday before this past weekend’s two-day gun season, Ohio’s overall deer kill was still 700 animals ahead of where it was last year at the same time.

“People may be hunting harder to see the same number of deer,” Tonkovich says.

Yet Tonkovich says he and his agency fully understand how some Ohio deer hunters may become so annoyed by seeing fewer deer they may turn their backs on buying one tag next season, let alone two.

“That’s possible, but the bar has been raised,” Tonkovich says. “We let the deer population too become larger but hunters need to keep in mind that we have a job to do and that includes bringing the level of quality deer to what we saw in the 1980s.”

At some point in the not-too-distant future, also says Tonkovich, hunters and other constituencies - such as the state’s farmers - will have to come to terms as to what they want in the way of a deer herd.

“We’ll have the opportunity to make a decision; whether people want to see more deer or better quality deer,” he said.

And as the Wildlife Division grapples with management strategies for next year’s deer seasons several possibilities are open. Among them being an end to December’s two-day firearms deer hunt.

“That’s something that will be discussed,” Tonkovich says.

So too possibly too would be an exploration of creating a statewide two-day, antlerless-only muzzle-loading-only season sometime in early October. Gone then would be the two-day so-called bonus gun hunt in the middle of December.

Having an October muzzle-loading-only hunt would enable the Wildlife Division to continue to manage the state’s deer herd while offering archery deer hunters a firearms-free December, Tonkovich says.

“Obviously, everything is up for debate,” Tonkovich says.

To aid in helping the Wildlife Division make these sorts of decision the agency is looking for deer hunters who were randomly selected to complete the survey they were sent earlier this autumn.

In all, 20,000 electronic-version surveys were sent along with another 20,000 sent via mail.

- Jeffrey L. Frischkorn
JFrischkorn@News-Herald.com
Twitter: @Fieldkorn

posted by News-Herald Blogs at 9:46 AM

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
“That’s possible, but the bar has been raised,” Tonkovich says. “We let the deer population too become larger but hunters need to keep in mind that we have a job to do and that includes bringing the level of quality deer to what we saw in the 1980s.

Are you fucking serious?!? That flat out infuriates me there. Straight up bullshit...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since we have less deer, why would an antlerless only season even be considered?

Does are easier to kill which results in less deer in the futrue. I do don't agree with the thought. But the squicky wheel will get the grease. And in this case it's the farm Bureau, Insurance Co, and maybe some farmer complaints in these hard economic times.
Frank

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Are you fucking serious?!? That flat out infuriates me there. Straight up bullshit...

Jesse, you shouldn't be upset about that. They just want the 1 1/2 year old bucks to have larger antler bases. That is one of the benchmarks used to determine the health of the herd. I mean why would you look at the fact that some of the biggest deer EVER killed by a hunter were taken in the last two decades when you can measure 1 1/2 yr old bucks antlers? Just think, if Mrex's deer hadn't been competing for food all those years, he would have been even more impressive! Our deer must have been starving for food all those years...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Does are easier to kill which results in less deer in the futrue. I do don't agree with the thought. But the squicky wheel will get the grease. And in this case it's the farm Bureau, Insurance Co, and maybe some farmer complaints in these hard economic times.
Frank

You may be right, Frank. However, my landowners are taking grain right out of their bins to feed deer. I don't think anyone surveyed their attitudes before deciding on the herd reduction plan.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse, you shouldn't be upset about that. They just want the 1 1/2 year old bucks to have larger antler bases. That is one of the benchmarks used to determine the health of the herd. I mean why would you look at the fact that some of the biggest deer EVER killed by a hunter were taken in the last two decades when you can measure 1 1/2 yr old bucks antlers? Just think, if Mrex's deer hadn't been competing for food all those years, he would have been even more impressive! Our deer must have been starving for food all those years...

HA! Buncha fucks!!!

I'm here to tell you right now that this convinces me that the Farm Bureau and the insurance companies are pumping money in to the DNR. How much money do you think the DNR stands to loose with a shit deer herd? Millions. But if you supplement that loss via special interest donations, well then it is no longer a big deal. As hunters, we are getting beaten, raped, pillaged, and lied to. Massive crock of shit...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The article expresses an illogical thought process I just can't follow. I try to give the ODNR the benefit of the doubt but they sure make it hard.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Two-day deer gun season kill slips again; end of season in sight?
If you participated in this past weekend’s two-day firearms deer-hunting season and failed to see any animals, you were not alone.

And if you actually saw - and shot - a deer, consider yourself very fortunate.

The kill for this year’s two-day hunt was off 14 percent from the same season in 2011, which itself was down 20 percent from the kill during 2010’s two-day gun hunt.

Statewide, 14,567 deer killed during the just-concluded two-day season. That compares unfavorably with the 16,977 animals shot last year and the 21,376 deer killed during the 2010 two-day season.

As a result, the Wildlife Division is mulling ending the two-day hunt.

OK, that part make sense to me.

In exchange hunters may get a two-day, antlerless-only, muzzle-loading-only season, possibly in early October, state wildlife officials are saying.

OK, now you are losing me. I guess they're saying we aren't killing enough deer in December even though the first 3 sentences implied the deer aren't there.

The fact Ohio hunters shot 14-percent fewer deer this past weekend versus what they killed in 2011 “really surprises me,” says Mike Tonkovich, the Ohio Division of Wildlife’s deer management administrator.

“I was really expecting to see increases both with this season as well as our seven-day general gun season,” Tonkovich says.

Reasons for the slippage possibly are many, including items out of the control of deer-management officials, also says Tonkovich.

Among them is the weather with another potential thorn being a worse-than-expected die-off of deer caused by EHD.

“Northeast Ohio was been hit hard by EHD, and we’re still getting calls about deer that have died from this,” Tonkovich says. “And Ashtabula County saw it first.”

Now the deer were killed by EHD?

Likewise, says Tonkovich, “it’s clear to me that there was light hunting pressure.”

But no one was hunting?

However, quickly adds Tonkovich, at the same time the Friday before this past weekend’s two-day gun season, Ohio’s overall deer kill was still 700 animals ahead of where it was last year at the same time.

Yet Tonkovich says he and his agency fully understand how some Ohio deer hunters may become so annoyed by seeing fewer deer they may turn their backs on buying one tag next season, let alone two.

“That’s possible, but the bar has been raised,” Tonkovich says. “We let the deer population too become larger but hunters need to keep in mind that we have a job to do and that includes bringing the level of quality deer to what we saw in the 1980s.”

How about a trade, if we have the herd the same size as in the 80's shouldn't the licenses be the same price?

At some point in the not-too-distant future, also says Tonkovich, hunters and other constituencies - such as the state’s farmers - will have to come to terms as to what they want in the way of a deer herd.

Once again this asshole throws farmers under the bus and never mentions insurance companies

“We’ll have the opportunity to make a decision; whether people want to see more deer or better quality deer,” he said.

And as the Wildlife Division grapples with management strategies for next year’s deer seasons several possibilities are open. Among them being an end to December’s two-day firearms deer hunt.

“That’s something that will be discussed,” Tonkovich says.

So too possibly too would be an exploration of creating a statewide two-day, antlerless-only muzzle-loading-only season sometime in early October. Gone then would be the two-day so-called bonus gun hunt in the middle of December.

Having an October muzzle-loading-only hunt would enable the Wildlife Division to continue to manage the state’s deer herd while offering archery deer hunters a firearms-free December, Tonkovich says.

“Obviously, everything is up for debate,” Tonkovich says.

To aid in helping the Wildlife Division make these sorts of decision the agency is looking for deer hunters who were randomly selected to complete the survey they were sent earlier this autumn.

In all, 20,000 electronic-version surveys were sent along with another 20,000 sent via mail.

- Jeffrey L. Frischkorn
JFrischkorn@News-Herald.com
Twitter: @Fieldkorn

posted by News-Herald Blogs at 9:46 AM

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The fact Ohio hunters shot 14-percent fewer deer this past weekend versus what they killed in 2011 “really surprises me,” “I was really expecting to see increases both with this season as well as our seven-day general gun season,”

It shouldn't surprise you if you actually listened to people. Or read the results of the survey you sent out last year.. Here are the results.. If you notice. Of the hunters spending the most time in the field across the most seasons they TOLD you the population was decreasing.. How you expected them to shoot more with less is beyond me.

Do you not set the seasons, tags, limits, hours, method and other things? That is 100% in your control and you have set about a mission to decimate our population. Things like disease, predation, and vehicles should be factored in to your management plan FIRST. If you aren't accounting for things "Out of your control" then you aren't doing your job..

Maybe because, well, I don't know, People are tired of going hunting and only killing time.. Furthermore he has NO WAY of knowing what the participation rate was last weekend.. This is BS all the way around.

Ya think! Again the survey data YOU conducted last year

I think the stupidity of this comment speaks for itself.

The last time you surveyed farmers asking them what they wanted for a population was in 2002 and they wanted a 15% decrease.. The last time you surveyed hunters asking them what they wanted in a population was NEVER!

News flash Mr Biologist. Buck deer fall out of Doe deer vaginas. If you want big buck deers then you need to increase the average age of mortality. Which has been falling. Which means you need more buck deer to satisfy the people who shoot the smaller ones leaving others to grow bigger. You are not going to get more buck deer by killing does.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good points Sam, but forget the price! Shouldn't we be working with the same bag limits/seasons? I guess not, since we don't want the herd to rebound. The goal is to keep it killed off.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'm not sure what to think...

I've said it to a few other buddies while out hunting, I'm getting to the point where I'm just gonna start saving my money to take trips out of state from now on. I'll hunt less, but at least I'll have quality time. Ohio is getting to be a joke. They royally screwed up the waterfowl zones & dates just two years ago throwing hunter input aside, Lake Erie is going to crap as a fishery, and now we're doing everything possible to ruin what deer hunting we have left. I don't see nearly the deer in SE Ohio that I used to, and as a result I'm hunting urban more often just to see deer. When you factor in all the frustration, money, & time spent away from family, it may be more fun to just plan a week long adventure elsewhere each season. Sure, I'll still hunt around Ohio, but just not as much. It's getting to be a waste of time, and quite frankly it's losing it's luster.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe, email your last post to Tonk... Immediately.

It's probably time to start thinking about a booth at the next D&T expo. Would be an awesome time to hand out literature about how those boys in green are slipping hunters the dick. We can turn their little shake hands and kiss babies booth into a weekend of getting grilled.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
So tonk expected a harvest increase and the director expected a decrease in numbers...wow talk about not knowing wtf they are doing...look at tonks words after gunseason that sam posted..

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm not sure what to think...

I've said it to a few other buddies while out hunting, I'm getting to the point where I'm just gonna start saving my money to take trips out of state from now on. I'll hunt less, but at least I'll have quality time. Ohio is getting to be a joke. They royally screwed up the waterfowl zones & dates just two years ago throwing hunter input aside, Lake Erie is going to crap as a fishery, and now we're doing everything possible to ruin what deer hunting we have left. I don't see nearly the deer in SE Ohio that I used to, and as a result I'm hunting urban more often just to see deer. When you factor in all the frustration, money, & time spent away from family, it may be more fun to just plan a week long adventure elsewhere each season. Sure, I'll still hunt around Ohio, but just not as much. It's getting to be a waste of time, and quite frankly it's losing it's luster.

You ain't shittin'! Deer hunting is a passion that only us on this board and avid hunters understand. However, it is hard to keep that passion when our chances to possibly succeed are dwindling so much. I don't want to whip a dead horse so I won't, but many of us on here are trying to introduce our children or others to hunting for the first time and in these conditions where the population is being decimated it is difficult to maintain their interest.

Hell, it's difficult to maintain my interest and I absolutely love deer hunting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I knew Tonk would respond like he did, Fugg! We all knew he would! Great post counter Joe, but Tonk don't care, he's got an agenda and keeping hunters happy and numbers thriving ain't part of it. Total BS!!!