Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What are your plans for the Spring 2013 Turkey Season!

This past spring, I shot my very first turkey. Due to work, I was only able to hunt the last 2 weeks of the season. However, I was able to pull off shooting a 22 lb. Tom with an 11" beard. :smiley_bril:

I've been hunting turkeys for several years and have always liked it, but after actually shooting one, I'm hooked. I have always wanted to get one with a bow, but it just wasn't working out that way. No matter, I knocked one down with my Mossberg 500 Turkey Special and had the fantail and beard mounted.

I just purchased an Ameristep Carnivore ground blind, got a heck of a deal on it and am making plans to take my next turkey with a bow...with the help of my decoys. :smiley_blink:

What are your plans for the Spring 2013 Turkey Season?
Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Goal #1 - Put more days in the field considering I've been in school the last 2 seasons with minimal days free.
Goal #2 - Actually see some Toms or jakes
Goal #3 - Put one (my first) on the ground

I'm hoping that the new blind I bought will help with some of that.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Don't think I'm going to go this year. The lands I have access to don't seem to hold many spring turkeys and public land near me has become over run with people who run and gun. I might take the boys out for youth season, but that's probably it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Start scouting for birds about a month before season. By scouting I mean head out before daylight 3-4 mornings a week and listen at different spots. Once you locate some roosted birds check on them once or twice a week in the morning to make sure they haven't moved roosts on you. If they bounce around make sure to take a mental note of where they are, how often, and what the wind speed and direction was the night before. In the month leading up to the season try to locate as many birds as you can and keep tabs on them.

The week before season take the last 4-5 days before opening day to head out in the morning and listen to them. In my opinion Ohio's season comes in about a week or two late so odds are the birds will already be with hens. Don't call but sit and listen to which direction that Tom heads after he flies down. If he hits the ground and only gives out 2-3 gobbles odds are he has quite a few hens with him. Opening-day pick the hottest bird that you have found from your scouting the days prior. If he is the only bird you have located go set up where he wants to go and you've listened to him go the past three or four mornings. Or get in real early and try to set up as close to the roost as you can. While he is still in the tree after his first gobble try to get him worked up and bully his hens. If she starts running her mouth, cut her off and give it right back at her, mock her. Hopefully he pitches right in your lap or that boss hen you pissed off will come over to whip your ass and he will be right behind her. That's how Alex and I have done it. Turkey hunting is 95% scouting.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am just now starting to see some huntable populations on properties I have access to. Just want to tag my first one.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm gonna get Mason on a turkey for youth season. I hope he remembers to aim this season. :) After that, I'll just go to the woods, call one in and kill it. Then, I may do it again. I have no intention of putting any real effort into scouting aside from finding one for Mason. I like to scout while I'm hunting...it's a long season, I'll find something to shoot and if I don't I'll enjoy looking for them. To me, turkeys are fun to hunt. The fun stops once you shoot.

And I plan to be done with it before it gets too warm and the bugs get too bad. Fishing is really good that time of year, and I don't want to be swatting bugs when I could be catching fish!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like to scout while I'm hunting...it's a long season, I'll find something to shoot and if I don't I'll enjoy looking for them. To me, turkeys are fun to hunt. The fun stops once you shoot.

Same here. I ain't getting up 3-4-5 days a week at the ass crack of dawn before the season starts to scout. At best, I make one or two trips prior to the season. I could really give a shit if I kill one, so I just need to excuse to be in the woods with a gun...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Scouting and having a lot of area to hunt is key to Turkey hunting. I pretty much refuse to sit and wait on birds. I like to cover ground until I find a bird then find a way to make him dead. I would just as soon run and gun with a shotgun as opposed to sitting in a blind waiting for em with a bow. It just ain't as much fun for me. Turkeys aren't hard to kill , just put some thought into what they are doin and get close before making your first call to em. I se a lot of people content to sit there and call to a bird 300 yds away .

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
SScouting is easy for me tho , I scout while I work. Plus I start work at 7. It ain't a big deal to get up a hr earlier leading up to the season to listen to a few spots every day .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I guess I should clarify. I'm not anti-scouting at all. I like to go out and listen to birds, may even call 'em in a time or two before season. Then again, if I decide I don't want to do it (I don't recall a year when I didn't go out before season), I don't think it will make any difference in my success. Just getting out and talking with 'em is success enough for me. Unfortunately for the turkeys, they usually walk their way into range.

Bowhunter.... I meant to wish you best of luck with killing a turkey with your bow. They are not hard to get into range of a blind, I think the real challenge is in finding them once you shoot! Hit 'em high, watch 'em die. Hit 'em low, watch 'em go.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Plop myself down in a spot I heard birds past spring, and while bow hunting this fall seen 8 longbeards everyday walking the same ridge. Day 1-blind w/shotgun Day 2-blind w/bow or vice versa.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I fall in line with what Brock has said. I really enjoy hunting with my Mom so I do just enough listening before season to make sure that they are where they normally are. This year I would like to take my kids a time or two so I dont really plan on killing one myself. I really like to hear the woods wake up with the sound of a boss gobbler that thinks he is the king of the woods in the spring.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I have one goal and one goal only. Get my dad his first longbeard. I have a number of boogered up stories and the closest of calls, including a long beard dancing in the decoys but my dad waiting to shoot incase he came closer. LOL. I just want to get him is first longbeard kill. If that happens, this season will be a success in my book.

Dang. It is a long way until April.

Huckleberry Finn

My plan is to kill a long beard on Monday morning before they get call shy...damn wouldn't that be nice.

I truly love turkey hunting with others, so hoping to do some hunting with some TOOzers.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I honestly believe working in a Tom is more exciting than anything else. I haven't gone in a number of years, but maybe this year, I dunno. Oh my, is a turkey camp at Strouds a possibility ?? lol

Last edited: