Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just to get everyones mind right....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
This one got me pumped! Been talking to Curran and JohnR about getting after them this year again hard. Waiting on the new caller!

[video=youtube;D71d_PxWN0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D71d_PxWN0c[/video]

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Had too been out west, because them buggers would of never hung around like that in Ohio.... Cool video that's for sure....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had too been out west, because them buggers would of never hung around like that in Ohio.... Cool video that's for sure....

No doubt there J. Possibly Michigan though because those were some dumb coyotes. lol

This is not realistic in our area. You are lucky to call one out generally. Sometimes you can get a pair. Only once have my buddies and I ever called more than 2. I can't honestly say we called more than 2. We were hunting this area by request. The coyotes were packing up and gang killing pets and such. We KNEW there were multiples in there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Watching these videos is good entertainment but not reallistic for our area..... Most I've ever seen @ one time is two running together and I dropped one with a muzzle loader..... Deer hunting of course.... Which seems too be the majority of the time for most of us.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You might be suprised. Five in one stand is a bit of a lofty goal but we have killed two in the same stand, could have been three. It is easier to do at night, IMHO. Pup distress screws with them.

My new caller is going to start doing the pup distress as soon as I shoot (Fox bang). Might help give you that extra second to shoot a mate/pups.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Like that video. Think next weekend I will just have to take my FoxPro with foxbang out and see what I can do. Haven't had any luck with it last season but ya never know what might happen if ya don't go try it. Would really like it if cold temps and some snow was on the ground.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You might be suprised. Five in one stand is a bit of a lofty goal but we have killed two in the same stand, could have been three. It is easier to do at night, IMHO. Pup distress screws with them.

My new caller is going to start doing the pup distress as soon as I shoot (Fox bang). Might help give you that extra second to shoot a mate/pups.

No doubt there. A pair is a reasonable goal around here. A trio can happen but probably once in a lifetime opportunity (in my area). Four or five would be like hitting the powerball around here. We do most of our hunting at night as well.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
No doubt there. A pair is a reasonable goal around here. A trio can happen but probably once in a lifetime opportunity (in my area). Four or five would be like hitting the powerball around here. We do most of our hunting at night as well.

And just about anywhere else unless you are running a suppressor. How often do you have more than three come in? When I did it was mostly early/mid fall on hay fields. I haven't even been out yet this year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Three is the most for us. Long cold spell with snow on the ground for an extended period of time.

You could see it during mating season as well. I believe our cold spell coincided with their rut.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I get the larger family groups generally in late September through late October. The pups tend to move on after this.