Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brand new trapper

Bushmaster16

Hey guys, I'm 14 and brand new to trapping, just set my first and only trap of now. It's a live trap and I plan on catching a coon, then more later with some duke DPs I will eventually get. I put some tuna in the trap. This picture is from the same area I'm trapping at, they must really like corn sometimes. image.jpg

Bushmaster16

Thanks for the info, I might try those baits after I check the trap tomorrow. The anticipation is gonna kill me at school.

Bushmaster16

Just checked the trap-nothing. It was on its side; not sure if it was the storm that just came through or a smart coon. Haha. Well there is always tomorrow. :smiley_bril:

oakswamper

around Toledo
Just checked the trap-nothing. It was on its side; not sure if it was the storm that just came through or a smart coon. Haha. Well there is always tomorrow. :smiley_bril:

Make sure you stake your trap down or they will tip it over.. Good luck!! Glad to see you trappin you will enjoy it.
Don't be afraid to ask questions there are a lot of good guys here

rossbows

Welcome
Anything sweet ,fishy or chicken works good on coons. When i set box traps put some bait in front of it and make a trail to the back so they have to step on the trigger. If your going to buy dp get the z trap i have a much higher catch rate with them because they have the two way hair trigger. Best of luck.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Keep after it young man. You will learn something every day on a trapline..... Believe a coon tipped your trap....Never had a storm tip one over.....yet.

Bushmaster16

Thanks for all of the advice, another thing, what is the best way to dispatch a coon without drowning. I was planning on using that method but changed my mind (truly my dad did, said it was cruel), and ideas?

Bushmaster16

Just checked the trap again, completely untouched. Rained last night so that may have been bad for feeding, not real sure. Onward to tomorrow.

Bushmaster16

Checked the trap this morning and I caught a grey squirrel. Haha, not what I expected, but at least it's something.